Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
wellssh
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Sven Wells

ESX Hosts/Cluster missing from SCOM

Post by wellssh »

I recently installed 3 new Collector servers, v5.7.0.1022. The Collectors show up in SCOM's _Collector State view. My issue is that none of the objects (ESX Hosts, Clusters, VM's) assigned to these new Collectors are showing up in SCOM.

I've rebooted all 3 collector servers; licensing/sockets are still available, no collector (we have a total of 7 Collectors now) is overloaded....etc. I've run the 'Rebuild Topology" option, but still the Hosts/Clusters do not show up in SCOM.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sven
wellssh
Influencer

Re: ESX Hosts/Cluster missing from SCOM

Post by wellssh »

One other thing to add....I've restarted the Collector Service on each Collector and actually watched the nWork Event log state that metrics for Host servers was successfully obtained....and.....status of hardware on ESX host was changed to "green". So I know the Collector seems to be running right, however this information is not being passed into SCOM.

Regards,
Sven
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Sven - I'd say that you forgot to set the "Allow this agent to act as a Proxy" setting. That setting is what allows Collectors to insert VMware objects.

Please check SCOM console - Administration section - Agent-managed, and on the properties for these agents check the Security tab. "Allow this server to act as a Proxy" must be checked.

After fixing this setting, please press Rebuild Full Topology button in nworks UI, and the ESX Hosts and VMs will be discovered.

Cheers
Alec
wellssh
Influencer

Post by wellssh »

Alec you were correct. I did this last night and this morning everything was as expected.

Thanks,
Sven
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Excellent Sven, thanks for the update. Happy VMware monitoring! :D