Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Jazeel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jazeel Ahmed Siddiqui

Monitor com.vmware.vcHms.rpoViolatedEvent

Post by Jazeel »

Case # 02114463

Dear Concern,

I need support to monitor the below VCenter alarm from SCOM. Is there any way to do it?

com.vmware.vcHms.rpoViolatedEvent
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Monitor com.vmware.vcHms.rpoViolatedEvent

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Jazeel,

Actually in Veeam MP there are not one but multiple ways to do that :)

Could you please provide more details - do you have a vCenter Alarm which is triggered by this event? If you have it already defined in vCenter then starting from 8.0 Update3 you can easily add custom vCenter Alarms as Monitors in SCOM, you can read more here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/80/vmwa ... nitor.html

But I'm afraid that this functioanlity at the moment doesn't support vCenter alarms targeted to Virtual Machines, if your RPO violated Alarm definition is targeted to VMs you may need to wait till Update 4 which is going to be released very soon, this update will add support for custom vCenter alarms targeted to VMs

However I beleive something can be done even with Update3, there is a guide on how to create custom vcenter alarm monitor in SCOM manually
veeam-management-pack-for-microsoft-sys ... ml#p203237

Also, there is a way to enable all posible vCenter events in the Veeam VMware Collector, just enable the "EnableUncategorizedEvents" collector parameter in the UI and these RPO violation events should arrive to the Veeam Vmware windows event log on the collector server, then we can analyze the event parameters and create a custom Event-based monitor that will trigger when event arrives.

Let me know which aproach would you prever? I'll do my best to help you configure whatever works better for you.
Jazeel
Novice

Post by Jazeel »

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your reply, first let me know how I can check which MP update I am using; as I am seeing MP version 8.0.0.2218.

Following is the vSphere Replication Event details

Event Name: RPO violated
Event Description: Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by <x> minutes
Event Type: com.vmware.vcHms.rpoViolatedEvent
Category: Error
Event Target: Virtual Machine

Furthurmore, enabling "EnableUncategorizeEvents" for one alarm is not a good idea In my opinion as it will put huge amount of load on the collectors. Do let me know your feedback on this.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Jazeel,

You can confirm the latest MP version in the [ALL VERSIONS] sticky post - veeam-management-pack-for-microsoft-sys ... 22648.html

If you have all .2218 MPs, then I think you have the GA version of 8.0, with no updates.

If your goal is to track a vCenter alarm, which targets VMs, then as Sergey said I recommend you wait for Update 4. It is cumulative, so you will get all previous updates 1-3 when you apply Update 4.

If you want to implement an alert now, then you can enable the event logging as Sergey suggested. In general events are not a heavy load on our Veeam Collector - it is performance data which is the bulk of the payload.
However, events will be an additional load, of course. And also you will have extra manual steps to create your own SCOM alerting monitor/rule for this event.

Unless your need for this alert is urgent I would recommend waiting for our Update 4. Then you will have a simple method to create any SCOM monitor to track any vCenter Alarm. We cannot guarantee release dates in general, but Update 4 should ship next month.
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Jazeel
Novice

Post by Jazeel »

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your reply. we can wait for the new update 4 so we can have simple way to configure it.

Regards,
Jazeel Ahmed Siddiqui