Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Biga
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve

SCOM MP for Veeam backup & replication

Post by Biga »

We monitor multiple customers / companies with SCOM 1807. SCOM gateway server installed for each customer. 5 customers use Veeam backup & replication v9.5. Both on Hyper-V and vMware. We also need to monitor these backup servers. Is importing only the Veeam backup management pack sufficient?
And do I need a license for this?
Thanks in advance.
Greetings
Steve
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: SCOM MP for Veeam backup & replication

Post by wishr »

Hi Steve,

If you'd like to just monitor B&R servers Free Backup MP should fit your needs. If you'd like to report on these servers - that's a completely different story since Reporting features are not part of the Free Backup MP (however, you may use our free Report Library to create your own reports).

No, you don't require a special license to use the aforementioned Free Backup MP.

Also, you may use a Full licensed version of our MP for 30-days at no cost to evaluate the capabilities of the paid version. Once the evaluation period ends, you'll be kept with the Free Backup MP.

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanks,
Fedor
Biga
Novice

Post by Biga »

OK. Thank you, Fedor.
For now we will only monitor the B&R servers.

But if I want to evaluate the reports for 30 days, do I have to perform the setup? Is importing only the MPs from the backup folder in the Veeam Management Pack v8 sufficient?
Thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Correct, since evaluation license should be uploaded through the VES UI to activate paid/eval. capabilities, it will be necessary to perform a full installation. You may use a single server deployment scenario with SCOM Management Server component installed on the server.

Also, please note that some of the B&R reports (to name a few: Protected VMs, Verified VMs, VM Backup Status, etc.) require data from hypervisors, so ideally I'd recommend fully connecting MP components to the virtualization infrastructure for performing a complex reporting evaluation.
Biga
Novice

Post by Biga » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the info Fedor.
For now I will only import the backup MPs without the reports MP.

It seems useful to be able to generate reports for clients, but management will make a decision about this.
Thanks