Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
PinkyDMT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Peter

Upgrade to SCOM 2012 RC failed

Post by PinkyDMT »

Hi,

trying to update an SCOM 2007 R2 environment to version 2012 RC failed because one Management Pack could not be updated. After doing some research it seems to be the nworks.VMware.VEM MP (version 5.7.0.1022
) which causes the problem:

Info: :Updating Schema from v1 to v2
Error:failed to migrate old MPs. This is a fatal error

Anyone else who tried to update to SCOM 2012 RC and also failed ?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Upgrade to SCOM 2012 RC failed

Post by Alec King »

Hi - we are currently researching this to repro and analyse - I'll update this post with our findings ASAP. Thanks!
PinkyDMT
Novice

Post by PinkyDMT »

Hi,
after doing some more tests it figured out that it's not the nworks MP which causes the problem.
Nevertheless it would be good to know that an in-place-update will work.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi, thanks for the update!

We will be testing upgrade anyway, but could you share what WAS the problem with your upgrade? How did you fix it?

Thanks!
Alec
PinkyDMT
Novice

Post by PinkyDMT »

Hi,
the problem was that the upgrade process of an SCOM 2007 R2 environment to 2012 RC failed with the error message that one the existing Management Pack could not be migrated to the new schema. Unfurtnatelly the log file is not showing which one. So doing a lot of test with different sets of MPs in my testlab I thought that it was the nworks one which caused the problem (without it the upgrade went through). But in the customer environment the upgrade still fails with and without the norks MPs. So doing more tests in my testlab (we are talking about 190 MPs) figured out that it also works with the nworks included. So I have no solution to share :(
Thomas