Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

VeeamOne 6.5 vs Veeam Management Pack

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

VeeamOne 6.5 vs Veeam Management Pack

Any comments. Why using one or the other, how do you compare them?
Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: VeeamOne 6.5 vs Veeam Management Pack

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dom,

There are many similar features between Veeam ONE and Veeam MP for VMware - after all, both products are from Veeam and we do share our expertise here in Product Management group :D
So you will see the same Knowledge Base articles, similar out-of-box thresholds, similar Alarms and so on, across both ONE and MP.

So I would say the biggest difference is - Veeam ONE is a stand-alone tool (also known as 'point solution'), and Veeam MP is fully integrated into System Center, which is an enterprise management framework.

This makes Veeam ONE easier to deploy and manage - it is a lightweight tool aimed at a specific purpose.
However by leveraging System Center the Veeam MP can show you which applications (SQL, IIS, etc) are running on which virtual machines, on which hosts - and include that data in Veeam MP dashboards and views. This is how Veeam MP gives that app-to-the-metal view.
And Veeam MP also includes advanced enterprise features such as scalable architecture, high-availability, and load-balancing.
(FYI Veeam MP also integrates into other System Center components such as Service Manager and Orchestrator - We will be releasing some interesting examples and demos very soon to show how Veeam MP enables other System Center components)

The biggest other feature between Veeam ONE and MP would be - that Veeam ONE can provide you monitoring and reporting of Veeam Backup and Replication. For customers who own Veeam B&R - then Veeam ONE includes very useful alarms on failed Backup Jobs, Repository free space and so on.
However - I can leak some secret product news now! :wink: - our Veeam MP customers can look forward to some very similar functionality, coming soon! Veeam Backup monitoring and reporting directly in System Center is just around the corner. Watch for announcements very soon!

Cheers,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Alec,

We have all VeeamOne, Veeam MP, Veeam B&R so it is really helpful to know the overlap.
Another question Beeam B&R has also an integrated Veeam Reporter if I am right where do you place it among this VeemaOne and Veeam MP?

Thanks a lot
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dominique,

Let me chime in here ;)

Alec is absolutely correct regarding sharing knowledge between two teams, however Veeam ONE (part of Veeam Backup Management Suite) is more focused on Veeam Backup & Replication monitoring and our upcoming version of Veeam ONE will have 20+ backup-focused reports. Our dev team has worked really hard to provide audit, compliance and enterprise level reporting for Veeam B&R.
felyjos wrote:Another question Beeam B&R has also an integrated Veeam Reporter if I am right where do you place it among this VeemaOne and Veeam MP?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I guess you're talking about Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, right? If this is the case, then EM only provides basic reporting information about your backup infrastructure and should be considered as single pane of glass across all managed Veeam B&R server (given you have multiple sites with standalone installations). You can use EM to search files through all exising backups, perform 1-Click FLR operations and use it as a central licensing server.

Let me know if that answers your question.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Yes BEEAM was for VEEAM :) VeeamOne as you said is part of Veeam Backup Management Suite which means for us we VeeamOne with Veeam Backup, Veeam One with Veeam reporter and Veeam MP ... it seems there is a big overlapping which might confused users as providing a Veeam Reporter report through Veeam Backup or through Veeam One more on vCenter itself will be difficult to explain !!! any way to consolidate the infrastructure somehow?
Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Just to be on the same page - we no longer have Veeam Reporter, Veeam Reporter is now part of Veeam ONE, so there is no overlap. If you still use it, you can decommission it and use Veeam ONE for creating reports on your VI and Veeam B&R infrastructures.

Getting back to your "issue" ;) Veeam MP provides enterprise level monitoring and reporting for your vSphere environments. As to Veeam ONE, then this product is the best choice for monitoring and reporting on your Veeam B&R infrastructure, however it also includes basic performance and reporting capabilities for your vSphere/Hyper-V environments.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

I will have to read more on VeeamOne as apparently EM is used for reporting butb not VeeamOne on the vEeamBackup.
I am using VeeamOne for VeeamReporter as I decom the VeeamReporter Standalone.
Thanks a lot
Dom