Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Stampede
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Peter Cha

Adding catagories / data fields to VM's

Post by Stampede »

Hi All,

I am looking to keep track of who owns a particular VM in our group. We have 400 some odd VM’s running and when we get errors or need to contact the “owner” of a VM regarding changes we need to make, I am looking for a quick and easy way to keep track of ownership within Veeam Backup or Veeam One. Is there a way to add a category like this?

In a perfect setup I’d love to be able to pull reports (excel spreadsheets) of VM ownership and search and organize based on our Veeam master list.

Thanks!,
Pete
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Adding catagories / data fields to VM's

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Pete and welcome to the forums!
Veeam ONE has Business View Groups for that purposes. You can create static and dynamic groups of VMs, hosts etc. based on their names, OSes, and other criterias. Do you have any tags or prefixes on VMs you want to categorize?
Based on these groups you can assign alarms, generate reports etc.
Thanks!
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your help Shestakov,

I have attributes currently assigned to the VM's stating ownership. I am still experimenting which is the most efficient and easy to use(tags or attributes only), it is great being able to export attributes in CSV form using One Business View.

For anyone else experiencing the same dillema, this link proved very useful (http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic ... -guide.pdf)

Pete
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VM-tag is a successor of custom attribute, so I would recommend to switching VM-tags for new VM deployments.
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede »

Is it possible to have group data from the Business View display in the Infrastructure View? In my case I would love to see it in the VM's summary tab, or be pushed to the vCenter VM summary tab (where annotations are displayed).

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to see BV groups in the infrastructure view, then why not to switch to Business View tab in Monitor Client? It provides the same level of visibility.
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede »

The infrastructure view provides a nice hierarchical view which is similar to vSphere. That is the preferred structure to use as the actual ownership details won't be relevant until something goes wrong or needs to be changed. This is basically preparing for the firedrill, because once the owner needs to be identified the information is going to be needed asap.
Thank you for your help and patience. This is a specific use case with a lot of obstacles to work around, thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Peter, could you describe how you see it in the "ideal world"?
Do you want something like a mix of existing business view and infrastructure view?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In version 9 we will have a tool-tip against every object in the infrastructure tree. I will ask our dev team to add BV group membership to this popup in the next updates.