beefing up email alerts customization

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

beefing up email alerts customization

Veeam Logoby bokus70 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:07 am

I am just testing ONE v8 application with a strong intent to put it into production. We have a specific demand for this kind of software which is to distinguish email alerts for warnings and errors, in terms of different text content in email subject or body. The reason is that our ticketing system email parser should look for some "cues" inside that email and raise a proper priority for the ticket immediately.
So, here are the questions I have compiled so far:
- Any plans for letting us customize the email body?
- How can I make different email messages for warnings and errors? I don't see how it can be done. Any plans for this feature in your roadmap?
- Any plans for making alarm rules use "AND" clause in the alarm rules settings? Currently it's "OR" i.e. any rule hit will raise the alarm, if I got it right.

Thanks for listening. I am using your software for several weeks only and already I can see you have a first class support. Forum and ticketing system provides a great help.
bokus70
Novice

Liked: never

Re: beefing up email alerts customization

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 am

Hi,

bokus70 wrote:We have a specific demand for this kind of software which is to distinguish email alerts for warnings and errors, in terms of different text content in email subject or body.

You can customize email subject via SMTP settings.
bokus70 wrote:- Any plans for letting us customize the email body?

How would you like to customize it?
bokus70 wrote:- How can I make different email messages for warnings and errors? I don't see how it can be done. Any plans for this feature in your roadmap?

It is not possible to change email notification per each alarm severity, but you can parse email body for error or warning states and then raise an alert in your system.
bokus70 wrote:- Any plans for making alarm rules use "AND" clause in the alarm rules settings? Currently it's "OR" i.e. any rule hit will raise the alarm, if I got it right.

Yes, you got it right. In our next release (v9) there will be an option to use AND in alarm rules.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby bokus70 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Email body customization: for instance adding my own text and the end of the message. Nothing fancy, you can continue as it is, maybe just this possibility to add few things at the end.

Thanks for clearing up warn/error thing in the parser. I was thinking of the same thing now, so we are on the same page.

Any other change regarding alarms in v9?
bokus70
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Veeam ONE v9 will have over 100 new features, so there is a lot of things coming. As to the changes in alarms engine, then we will provide more options in alarms suppress period and we will add a couple of additional columns that can be included in alarms email notification.

Do you want to include the same text for all alarms? If this is the case, then you can try to use "External" section in the alarms KB to include your own text to the notification. To do that, please navigate to alarms management tab, pick any alarm and take a look at knowledge base tab.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:13 pm

bokus70 wrote:Email body customization: for instance adding my own text and the end of the message. Nothing fancy, you can continue as it is, maybe just this possibility to add few things at the end.

Just curious what you may want to add there. Could you give an example, please?
bokus70 wrote:Any other change regarding alarms in v9?

There are lots of them. E.g. Cluster-level alarms, Rules combined by “AND/OR” logical operators, Combo-alarms (create alarms based on existing alarms by combining them under the alarm rules configuration) and much more.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby bokus70 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Sounds very good about the v9 alarm related features. So I will be able to make a rule that will contain combination of AND/OR operators?

As for the email body, we were thinking to add a custom description that will make things easier for our parser. I mean, I can always ask our ticketing guys to make a srcipt that will adjust to veeam alarm output contents, but you will understand that the first option is much easier for them. :) The scripts tend to get bigger and bigger and why not ask for a simpler option, if possible. But this is not a must-have feature even for us, if the body contains the wording "warning" or "error" for distinction. The custom description is helpful because we can fill our ticketing system automatically with something our guys are used to. That's about it, just to make things easier.
bokus70
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 pm

bokus70 wrote:So I will be able to make a rule that will contain combination of AND/OR operators?

Yes, that was the goal to introduce this logical operator in alarm settings.

bokus70 wrote:As for the email body, we were thinking to add a custom description that will make things easier for our parser. I mean, I can always ask our ticketing guys to make a srcipt that will adjust to veeam alarm output contents, but you will understand that the first option is much easier for them. :) The scripts tend to get bigger and bigger and why not ask for a simpler option, if possible. But this is not a must-have feature even for us, if the body contains the wording "warning" or "error" for distinction. The custom description is helpful because we can fill our ticketing system automatically with something our guys are used to.

Got your point! Email notification body does include state of the alarm as well as the custom field from the alarm, so it should be fine for now. Thanks for clarification.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:33 pm

bokus70 wrote:Sounds very good about the v9 alarm related features. So I will be able to make a rule that will contain combination of AND/OR operators?

We are happy to inform you that Veeam ONE v9 has been released and as was discussed it includes the new alarm rules.
Thanks again for your input! Enjoy new release with its great features!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Return to Veeam ONE