Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
smile_dav
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Capacity Planning Report Pack

Post by smile_dav »

Just been playing around with Veeam ONE, and I must say IT IS AWESOME!!! The Reporter GUI team has done an amazing job as the GUI itself is super easy to use and well thoughtout.

Just a couple of questions, I see that there are updates for the extension modules, would there be a future release for a capacity planning module as this would probably one of the major selling points and it was embedded by default in version 4?

On the other hand, would Veeam plan to integrate all Veeam B&R and Veeam ONE into one console? This would surely make Veeam standout amongst the competition.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Capacity Planning Report Pack

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

Thank you for your awesome feedback, our R&D team will really appreciate it!
smile_dav wrote:...would there be a future release for a capacity planning module as this would probably one of the major selling points and it was embedded by default in version 4?
Yes, absolutely! Capacity planning report pack is one of our highest priorities for the short term future, so please stay tuned.
smile_dav wrote:On the other hand, would Veeam plan to integrate all Veeam B&R and Veeam ONE into one console? This would surely make Veeam standout amongst the competition.
Interesting idea...
rcooke
Novice
Liked: never

Post by rcooke »

Hi, I just started with the trial and like the original poster I've been very happy with what I've found so far. But one our key requirements is the ability to forecast our resource usage so we can build new hosts into our budget cycle. All the links on the website http://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-one-adv ... nning.html show this but it doesn't mention that it's for an earlier version of the product. Is there a projected timeline for having a new capacity pack available for v6?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Capacity planning report pack is going to be available in the next minor update which should happen later this year.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Post by jeremyh8 »

Speaking of report packs... Are there any downloadable and installable report packs currently? are there "community report packs" thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jeremy, currently there are no new packs available.

Be aware that you can check the information about new packs as well as available report bug fixes through Veeam ONE by yourself. To do that you need to open Veeam ONE Reporter then click on Configuration -> Extension modules -> and hit "Check for updates" button.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

everytime i have tried to check for updates it says it cant find the update server. I do not use proxy or have any internet restrictions. I just assumed this was future functionality.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It should be working and as far as I know there is a hotfix for one of the report packs already available. Could you please contact our technical team and let them take a look at your debug log files?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

I found a knowledge base article on this and found out that proxy authentication has to allow anonymous and i need to run the update from the server that houses webui. I was trying from my client. What are the steps to update my other products? veeamone and all pieces and veeam backup and replication. I am new to the product so i apologize for having so many questions. Is there a place to manually go and get updates for all veeam products?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

i cant figure out how to edit my post but i wanted to add a question. is there somewhere to read what changes were done to the report packs before installing them? How about getting notifications automatically of new updates?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's ok. Keep your questions coming :)
jeremyh8 wrote:What are the steps to update my other products? veeamone and all pieces and veeam backup and replication. I am new to the product so i apologize for having so many questions. Is there a place to manually go and get updates for all veeam products?
You can find all available patches for all products through our customer support portal. In addition to this, if you follow these forums closely (and looks like you currently do it) you will notice our sticky topics which we update every time when a new version/patch gets available.
jeremyh8 wrote:is there somewhere to read what changes were done to the report packs before installing them? How about getting notifications automatically of new updates?
Yes, we are working on automatic update engine. As to the hotfix description, then if there is a major change (not just a bug fix), the list of changes will be displayed in the right description area.

Thanks!
Daveyd
Veteran
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

smile_dav wrote:On the other hand, would Veeam plan to integrate all Veeam B&R and Veeam ONE into one console? This would surely make Veeam standout amongst the competition.

Thanks!
That would be an awesome feature!

Hopefully the capacity planning report packs will be available soon as well
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave,

Are you just referring to a single console or you would like to see some integration between the products?

Thanks!
Daveyd
Veteran
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Dave,

Are you just referring to a single console or you would like to see some integration between the products?

Thanks!
Integration would be nice but I do like the single pane of glass view with software. It's hard enough keeping up with all the admin consoles we have. We currently have 4 different SolarWinds applications and they are all under 1 console, which makes it nice
smile_dav
Enthusiast

Post by smile_dav »

Daveyd wrote: Integration would be nice but I do like the single pane of glass view with software. It's hard enough keeping up with all the admin consoles we have. We currently have 4 different SolarWinds applications and they are all under 1 console, which makes it nice

Yea, I think Daveyd hit it nail on, basically all started when a customer got confused that VeeamONE isn't actually one console for everything, including backup.
I know it might be a little weird integrating Backup & Replication with Monitoring and Reporting, but I think most admins around would agree that they don't like things split into little parts, that way it's much harder to install, maintain and manage. For instance, if you use VeeamONE and Veeam B&R Enterprise, you'll need: VeeamONE, Veeam Reporter Viewer, Veeam Monitor Client, Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Enterprise Manager, 4 x Veeam AIR wizards, Search Server etc.
My original idea was having one console to use all Veeam products on, i.e. you only have to install one console and you'll get the features based on your license. Since Veeam integrated Monitoring and Reporting, just though this might be the way forward too :)

Additionally, are there any other templates for the default look and feel in Veeam Reporter? If not, can we customise it?

Still eagerly anticipating the capacity planning report pack! Hope it'll come out soon! :D

Thanks for the time to listen to our feedbacks by the way, really appreciate it!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarifications!
smile_dav wrote:Additionally, are there any other templates for the default look and feel in Veeam Reporter? If not, can we customise it?
No, there are no other "themes" for Veeam ONE reporting component. How would you like to customize it? Would you like to change just colors or there is something else?
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Yea, I think Daveyd hit it nail on, basically all started when a customer got confused that VeeamONE isn't actually one console for everything, including backup.
Well, it can be a SPoG today already :)
Veeam ONE Monitor Client on Veeam Backup Server Console
Veeam ONE Monitor Client on Veeam Backup Server Console
2012-08-21_0830.png (71.64 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
smile_dav
Enthusiast

Post by smile_dav »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Ok, thanks for clarifications!
No, there are no other "themes" for Veeam ONE reporting component. How would you like to customize it? Would you like to change just colors or there is something else?
Actually, the main thing is that the graphs and reports are fixed. Personally I think the look and feel is brilliant.
Say for example we generated a VMware Custom Performance report for 10 VMs, we cannot change the colours used for each VMs inside the graphs, and we can't change the graphs used.
Some of our customers (System Admins) would love a "Traffic Lights" report for all the VMs when they present to their bosses who are not really interested in the figures, just the colour, if you get what I mean :wink:

Thanks.
rbrambley wrote:Well, it can be a SPoG today already :)
2012-08-21_0830.png

Hahahaha, nice one!
Don't think it'll work if VeeamB&R and VeeamONE are on the same VM :roll:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I got your idea, thanks for the feedback.
JamesC
Novice
Liked: never

Post by JamesC »

I am in the sames shoes as Jeremy as I can't update the Extension modules through the web UI due to proxy restrictions. Looking at the KB relating to this, there is a zip that can be downloaded from the Veeam FTP site. But I don't know what credential to use to log into the FTP site.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

JamesC wrote:I am in the sames shoes as Jeremy as I can't update the Extension modules through the web UI due to proxy restrictions. Looking at the KB relating to this, there is a zip that can be downloaded from the Veeam FTP site. But I don't know what credential to use to log into the FTP site.
James,

I've just checked that KB - http://www.veeam.com/KB1598 - all seems to be fine.
If you still cannot download the file, please contact our support and you'll get it super-fast.

Thanks,
- VM.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

do we have an updated time frame or did i miss the release?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, you didn't miss the release. We're still on schedule and Veeam ONE with capacity planning report pack will be available in Q4.
smile_dav
Enthusiast

Post by smile_dav »

Vitaliy S. wrote:No, you didn't miss the release. We're still on schedule and Veeam ONE with capacity planning report pack will be available in Q4.
Are we close to this release now that Veeam B&R 6.5 is released?
I'm looking forward to the Veeam ONE 6.5!
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Oh, definitely! We are very close :)