Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
aponnath
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: AP

Changing IP or Hostname breaks Veeam One Web Client

Post by aponnath »

I think it would be helpful to either provide Documentation or make it more clear what needs to be changed in Setup if one decides to change the Hostname.
In my case I had a misspelled Hostname which I decided to fix as well as i added a second IP so i could have Veeam One Web as well as the Enterprise manager
on standard ports like 443 and 80. But something broke because after i tried to connect via the One Web client i got the message that it was not able to connect
to the Server. So i take it it tried to connect to the original host name. But there is no way to specify the hostname to connect to in web client. Also looking at regular
client which worked fine there was no field i saw that told which server the web client try's to connect to.
I opened a ticket for the issue but the response i got was quality wise sub par so i decided to close it and uninstall the Veeam One and reinstall which fixed the problem.
So it would be great if there would be either more documentation on how and where the config which effects this is located or if support reps would know what they are
supporting.
A product is only as good as its support ...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Changing IP or Hostname breaks Veeam One Web Client

Post by Gostev »

aponnath wrote: Mar 01, 2021 10:28 pmI opened a ticket for the issue but the response i got was quality wise sub par
A product is only as good as its support...
Can you share the case ID please? We will have the support management review.

As for documentation feedback, you can provide it directly to the documentation team using a link at the bottom of each Online Help page that you feel is lacking details. They are extremely responsive and fix most things in no time!
aponnath
Novice

Post by aponnath »

I left already a feedback in survey which reflects the value of the support which was = 0 . As for the Doc team feedback, I am not sure which section this would
be belong in, furthermore I feel I provided enough info and wasted enough time. What Veeam does with it, is up to you guys. Educated some of your support
people better or provide better docs and there is also do nothing.

Und ist es nicht etwas spaet in der Schweiz um diese Zeit ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Alex.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your case ID was 04673581?

As far as I can see the communication history, let me reproduce the case handling:
- at 11.51pm case was opened. no logs attached, but description "[edited]Failed to connect..."
- at 12.24am support engineer has picked the case and replied with request to provide a screenshot of the error
- at 12.52am you have closed the case with a comment of support being useless...

It might be late time playing a bad joke on me, but with all due respect, I don't really see a problem with support here.
aponnath
Novice

Post by aponnath »

Egor,

Bad joke ? the only joke is the Support rep and with your comment you are not match better but i give you credit that you might know more then the original rep.
Asking for a screen shot after I described what the screen says and when it shows in my ticket is like AAA asking send me a pic of the flat tire before i send you a
tow truck. So again you missing the point of lack of documentation or a clear config which addresses a name change without breaking anything.
Since you take the freedom to post exerts of my responses without my permission in a public forum, please forward me your managers info, since you have my ticket
you have my email. I will make a clear case that the support system is a communication between customer and Veaam and in no way have i given permission to share
any of my comments. Now how about that for a bad joke
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I have removed suspicious quotation from my post above, although I was rephrasing your initial post in this thread.
My manager will be notified and you will have a chance to talk with him.
aponnath
Novice

Post by aponnath »

It doesn't matter if you rephrasing it or not, in no way did i give permission to post anything in a public forum. Its funny how a smart ass like you can turn
a simple post like mine into a pissing contest. I will pull your T&C's tonight and i am sure it will make for interesting reading as i did not give or was ask
for permission to share any of my posted stuff. My tip for you next time think before you type. And my comment for late hrs was not for you but for Gostev
as his profile says he is in Switzerland.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We just launched v11 so it's the busiest time of the year and I have to stay up later hours :D

My apologies for Egor quoting what you said in the case, I see he removed it immediately and I'm sure he learnt his lesson! You raise a good point here, even I myself did not realize that sharing details from the support case can be an issue for some people... although to be fair, you're actually the first in my almost 15 years of running this community :) even if most of our interactions here naturally do require cross-referencing the support case in question.

Nevertheless, after reviewing your case, I have to agree with Egor: your assessment of support engineer is in my opinion simply unfair. They asked for a screenshot to see the entire message including the error code. They cannot magically know if you typed the entire error, or just a summary. The errors are usually long, and most times customers only share first few words when describing an issue.
aponnath
Novice

Post by aponnath »

Gostev,

one glove does not fit all. If you read my ticket you will see that i explained exactly the steps i took which caused the creation of the error and when the error happened.
And yes i left one major word out and that's the Word Error and a symbol but the error message was complete. So i have to question how a image would provide more
inside. Based on changing the host name, the rep either knows what's broken or he/she doesn't. Like I said I compare this request to a AAA request for a pic of a flat tire.
Also there is a saying "The mother of all screwups is the assuming" , so for Egor quoting my ticket and assuming it was ok to do so is a clear privacy violation in principal.
We can make the argument that he rephrased stuff but the content was taken from a non public system. Also I did not even provide a ticket number so that is another
sign i was not going to share content.
But it is even more interesting how you guys defend the lack of knowledge of some of your support people instead of living up and owning it and actually address the
undocumented issue which break's one of your services.
And just for an FYI this is the second time I had the pleasurer dealing with someone in support with limited knowledge. The first time I got a hold finally of someone
who knew what he was talking and he helped resolve the issue quickly and had to agree that the first rep handled it wrong.