Decide the Raid level through VeeamONE

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Decide the Raid level through VeeamONE

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi,
I'm deciding what raid use for an SBS2008 that now is on a Raid10 Datastore (AD+Sharepoint+WSUS+Exchange). I'm undecided between a new Raid5 and the actual Raid10 and i'm whatching the Datastore I/O but i don't know what info is the best for decide the raid level:
is more important Datastore Read write/read rate or Datastore write/read I/O to chose?
For you what is the best choise with 4 15k drives?

Thanks
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Re: Decide the Raid level through VeeamONE

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Carlo,

Since you're going to host highly transactional and IOPs intensive applications on this datastore, then RAID10 would be the best choice if you can afford it.

See this blog post for additional info: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/billg/archiv ... mance.aspx

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks,

but i'd like to know if they are high transational using VeeamONE, what do i control?

Bye
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 pm

If you want to measure datastore performance, then it's better to look which configuration provides you more capacity in terms of IOPs (read/write operations per sec). If you want to see whether your applications are highly transactional or not, then navigate to the datastore tab and choose the "stack by VM" view. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to Veeam ONE