Detailed Backup Retention Report

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Detailed Backup Retention Report

Veeam Logoby bteichner » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm trying to find a report in Veeam ONE that will give me detailed information on backup jobs that includes:
- Available restore points for VMs (or jobs)
- Backup expiration dates

We need to be able to provided detailed reports for what backups we have stored, when they were taken, and when they will expire. We just started using Veeam ONE, and I wasn't able to find any reports that show this.

Thanks
bteichner
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Teichner

Re: Detailed Backup Retention Report

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi Brian,

1. Take a look at Protected VMs report that does have total number of restore points available.
2. Do you want to see the date when the closest restore point will be deleted? Not sure I fully understand this scenario, since restore points are deleted every job run (reversed incremental backup mode) or according to the full backup schedule and configure retention policy (forward incremental backup mode).

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby bteichner » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Vitaliy,
Thanks for the response. The Protected VM report is a good starting point, but I'm looking for more detailed information on the backed up VMs. I think the issue I'm running into is with the backup copy jobs. I have the retention set for weekly, monthly, yearly, but I can't find a report that will tell me how many restore points are available for a VM, when the backup was taken, and when the restore point will expire based on the retention set in the backup copy job. Hopefully this helps clarify what I'm looking for.

Thanks
bteichner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for clarification, now I understand what backup expiration you're referring to. I think it would be a good idea to make a report that would display information on the backup GFS chains. Meanwhile, protected VMs report or report about backup copy jobs should give you info about transferred restore points and stored ones. Thanks for the feedback once again!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bteichner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Sorry, I'm still very new to Veeam One. I think a report on the backup GFS chain is exactly what we need. Is there a pre-built report for this? And if not, how can I go about setting this up. Thanks for the help.
bteichner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:05 pm

There is no pre-build report like that, but if you need a report for backups created by backup copy jobs using GFS or regular retention policy, then I believe it shouldn't be hard for us to add it in the next updates. BTW, what about regular backups? The more I think about this report, the more ideas I have on how to show all jobs/backup files there.

Do you have any special requirements for this report? Do you want to see the expiration date, N. of restore points, VMs, what else?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bteichner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 pm

That would be great. I think the most important one for me would be the expiration date. It would be great to have the ability to run a report on VMs to see how many copies of the backup there are and how long they will be available, what backup policy was applied, and when the backup was taken. This would be good to have for regular backups as well. Thanks
bteichner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Yes, this makes sense, the only limitation I foresee now is that if you change the backup policy in the VBR itself, the printed copy of this report would automatically become "outdated". :)
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bteichner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Yep, not a problem. Looking forward to an update on this.

Thanks
bteichner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v33@m3r » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi There,

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but does anyone know if there is any new report functionality since this thread was going back in November? (Either via a report in Veeam B&R, VeeamONE, or Enterprise Managerr)
I'm looking for some good visibility on the backup GFS chain, just like the previous posters last year.

Thanks!
v33@m3r
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi, usually improvements like this happen on the major releases rather than minor ones. So let`s wait at least until v9.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby v33@m3r » Fri May 08, 2015 9:17 am

ok fair enough thanks
v33@m3r
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 08, 2015 9:21 am 1 person likes this post

No problem. Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Return to Veeam ONE