Disabling "Heartbeat Missing" Alert

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Disabling "Heartbeat Missing" Alert

Veeam Logoby Wolverine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:06 am

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the forum and I am tasked with monitoring alerts on Veeam0ne. I have over the past few days picked up "Heartbeat Missing" alarms and installed VMware Tools on some of the VMs and the error disappeared. However; I have on VM with latest VMware tools and its giving me the "Heartbeat Missing" error. I am considering disabling the alert on that specific Vm but I am not sure what the impact would be. Anybody have any suggestions or advise on this? Would appreciate your assistance.
Wolverine
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

Re: Disabling "Heartbeat Missing" Alert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 am

Hi, Lazarus. Welcome to the forum.
I believe it`s better to investigate the reason of the alarm rather than just disable it. The bad possible impact in case you disable the alarm could be an outage of the VM.
There are 2 main reasons why the alarm appears: either it`s Guest OS error or VMware tools service. Check Guest OS status as well as VMware Tools status.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 am

I would recommend to re-install VMware Tools on this VM, as I have seen a couple of cases where vCenter Server couldn't update VM heartbeat status because of misbehaving VMware Tools.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Wolverine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks guys, I will try re-installing VMware tools and see if that changes anything.
Wolverine
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

Return to Veeam ONE