Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Wolverine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

Disabling "Heartbeat Missing" Alert

Post by Wolverine »

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the forum and I am tasked with monitoring alerts on Veeam0ne. I have over the past few days picked up "Heartbeat Missing" alarms and installed VMware Tools on some of the VMs and the error disappeared. However; I have on VM with latest VMware tools and its giving me the "Heartbeat Missing" error. I am considering disabling the alert on that specific Vm but I am not sure what the impact would be. Anybody have any suggestions or advise on this? Would appreciate your assistance.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Disabling "Heartbeat Missing" Alert

Post by Shestakov »

Hi, Lazarus. Welcome to the forum.
I believe it`s better to investigate the reason of the alarm rather than just disable it. The bad possible impact in case you disable the alarm could be an outage of the VM.
There are 2 main reasons why the alarm appears: either it`s Guest OS error or VMware tools service. Check Guest OS status as well as VMware Tools status.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would recommend to re-install VMware Tools on this VM, as I have seen a couple of cases where vCenter Server couldn't update VM heartbeat status because of misbehaving VMware Tools.
Wolverine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

Post by Wolverine »

Thanks guys, I will try re-installing VMware tools and see if that changes anything.