Feature Request: Exclusion Capability in Audit Report

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Feature Request: Exclusion Capability in Audit Report

Veeam Logoby gingerdazza » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 am

Ticket rasied with support: #02082964

There seems to be a huge flaw in the Infrastructure Changes Audit Report - if you want to exclude a single account, it doesn't JUST exclude that account, it then ticks all the other accounts to have in the report. But, if a new user account uses vSphere later it doesn't get automatically ticked. Ideally we'd like the ability to JUST exclude an account, or use wildcards to include/exclude. In its current form we see now choice but to report on all accounts, which means the report is huge and cumbersome.

Objective: Run an audit report, but exclude account Account1 from the audit report as it is very “noisey” – it runs all backups.
So…
Set Infrastructure Changes Audit report interval to “1 Day”
Now, in “Changed by” section deselect just Account1
The problem is, this doesn’t just exclude this account… what it does, it now makes it a report based only on the ticked accounts. So, if I another user starts using vcenter (perhaps jbloggs.adm) they will not be in the report! This means this report cannot simply exclude specified accounts.
I can demonstrate this by now changing the Interval to 1 Week, and suddenly a few other users appear in there unticked
gingerdazza
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dazza

Re: Feature Request: Exclusion Capability in Audit Report

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello,
Could you clarify the case a bit? Am I correct that if you clear checkbox in the report option excluding a user in "Changed by" the report works fine, but if you schedule it, starting from the second run the user`s event are unexpectedly shown in the report?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:52 pm 1 person likes this post

I guess Dazza is saying that the exclusion list in this report works as inclusion list, so every new account is automatically missed from the report. This should be changed, I agree.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby gingerdazza » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:I guess Dazza is saying that the exclusion list in this report works as inclusion list, so every new account is automatically missed from the report. This should be changed, I agree.

Exactly, yes
gingerdazza
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
I doubt it should be changed though. In opposite case when you schedule a report for 1 user and every new user is to be included to the report automatically it will not be consider as an expected behavior.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gingerdazza » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Shestakov wrote:Thanks for the clarification.
I doubt it should be changed though. In opposite case when you schedule a report for 1 user and every new user is to be included to the report automatically it will not be consider as an expected behavior.

These two requirements do not need to be mutually exclusive - it seems perfectly viable to me (and desirable) to have the ability to run an audit report for a specified account, whilst also having the ability to exclude a particular account from a report. Just because you want the ability to do one, doesn't mean the facility for the other isn't achievable. It's a simple code change to provide this function. It's going to be a common use case where customers want to run an audit report but exclude very "noisey" accounts such as those used to execute the Veeam work (veeam service account) no?
gingerdazza
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm 1 person likes this post

You are right, we will try to make both use cases feasible via UI.
Thanks for the feedback!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam ONE