Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mweinstabl
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Weinstabl

FR: Exclude folder from SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task

Post by mweinstabl »

Hello,

I'd like to make a Feature Request regarding the SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task: Exclude folders in a datastore.

Reason: Our VMware datastores are on our NetApp. We have activated access to the .snapshot folder on the volume and therefore the SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task scans all the storage snapshots as well. The result is, the SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task runs into its 10 minute timeout.

The article KB1653 offers as a solution to increase the timeout, that works, but only conceals the symptom. I'm not talking here about a datastore with like 500 VMs. Our main datastore only holds 67 VMs and already has the timeout issue. With every added VM and snapshot, the problem grows exponentially.

I ran the PowerShell script attached to the article KB1653, and it found about 5100 .vmdk and .flat files. After deleting two volume snapshots on the NetApp, the number dropped to 4960.

Take care, Michael

Case ID: 02530442

Environment:
vCenter Server 6.5.0 Build 7515524
Veeam ONE 9.5.0.3801
Veeam B&R 9.5.0.1536
Windows Server 2012 R2 for all three servers
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: FR: Exclude folder from SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Michael and welcome to the community!
I've got the problem. Could you specify the request, not to perform datastore search at all?
Thanks!
mweinstabl
Novice

Post by mweinstabl »

Hello Nikita,
thank you for your response.
I just want to exclude the ".snapshot" folder from the datastore search in the SearchDatastoreSubFolders_Task. That's the cause of the problem. The scan for the rest of the datastore is fine.

Take care, Michael
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Got it. We will take the request into account!
mweinstabl
Novice

Post by mweinstabl »

Hello Nikita,
I wanted to add, that deactivating the access to the .snapshot folder is not a viable option, because it prevents Veeam B&R from using storage snapshots for the backup:

Code: Select all

16.02.2018 02:36:48 :: Failed to create snapshot for NFS export XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Error: Snapshot directory (.snapshot) on volume XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is not visible to NFS client. Make snapshot directory visible, or disable backup from storage snapshots.
Take care, Michael