Done !
Keep you informed if case is solved.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Guest disk space custom alarm

Post by Shestakov »

Once you have a support case number, please post it here for us to follow the investigation.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Update
Shestakov wrote:I'm back from testing. The alarm execution should take up to 10 minutes, not taking delay into account.
In fact the info is collected along with VI topology and usually takes 3-5 minutes, thus 1 hour is not an expected behavior and we would like to investigate the issue.
This is applied to vSphere only.
Hyper-V refreshes the info every hour. So that's an expected behavior.
Sorry for the confusion.
FranceLink
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gwenaël Pont

Post by FranceLink »

Thanks for precision ;)
Your colleague Alexandr said me this yeah.
FranceLink
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gwenaël Pont

Post by FranceLink »

Support case is 02480786
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

[MERGED] Feature request: Guest disk space monitoring

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi,

We have a scenario where we have a server that has something like this:
C: 100GB
D: 500GB
E: 200GB
F: 2TB
G: 3.5TB

At the moment we have the monitoring set to the default 10% for warning and 5% for error. The problem is that as volume sizes grow to several TB the free space at 10% isn't close enough to the total to be a logical alarm for us anymore. For example on G: it 10% is 350GB, which is way too high to be an alert for us, we really want it more around 100GB.

I know we can do an absolute alarm rather than a relative alarm, but I am struggling to get a combination of conditions that will allow us to continue monitoring all the other disks at 10%/5% but just F: and G: at an absolute limit, without manually specifying the disks to include, which is never a good idea.

The issue is that the alarm conditions "disks to monitor" but there is no "disks to ignore", if there was I could exclude the file server from the normal alarm and create a new alarm. The new alarm could have a condition for the large drives with absolute and "disks to monitor" being F: and G:. Then another condition that was "Disks to monitor *" but "Disks to ignore" being F: and G:.

The only way I can get what I need is by manually specifying all of the smaller disks of the server in the 10%/5% rule and specifying the large ones in the absolute rule. The issue we have with this is that if a new disk is added to the server then that disk is not automatically monitored by Veeam, we have to manually add it to the rule. We also have multiple almost identical file servers, I am also assuming that if one of the servers had a different set of disks and we had said to monitor say E: and there was no E: drive on the server then it might cause an alert or strange behavior.

My requests:
1. Add "disks to ignore" to the guest disk space section, so that we can have more flexible rules. This would allow me to 'ignore' the large disks on the 10%/5% condition and 'include' the large disks on the absolute condition. This would give a single alarm, that would automatically add new disks to the 10%/5% rule.
2. Add </> to "disks to ignore, GB" - This allows us to do the same as the above, but based on size. We could then say if the disk is over 2TB use this rule, if it is over 3TB use this rule, but if under 2TB use this rule.

Of course, if you have a solution other than what I have mentioned above then please do share it!

Thanks

Chris
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. Above are similar discussions.
We have exclusion option in plans for future releases, but for now you can list desired disks to monitor.
Note that you can also include/exclude VMs for the alarm with specified rules.
Thanks
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi Nikita,

Mine was a feature request, this other topic is someone having issues getting the functionality to work. There are some similarities but it is not the same request. I don't think this should have been merged as now the feature request is lost.

Yes, as I said I can work around it, but it means that if someone adds a new disk to any of these servers then it won't be automatically added. Veeam us all about automatic monitoring, automatically checking backups etc. so seems odd that they have built this flaw into the VeeamONE automated monitoring solution. It is clear that someone thought of this type of thing as an issue because they added exclude disks smaller than x and "monitor these disks" but not "exclude these disks".
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Your request makes sense and taken into account. It's not lost.
Not sure about several conditions, such as conditions based on the disk size, but exclude is in the roadmap.
As for the workaround for new disks, I would try to list more disk names, even not existing, so when such disk appears it will be monitored automatically.
That will not cause strange behavior or false-positives as it already works when you have several VMs with different disk sets in the alarm scope.
Thanks
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Exclude /boot in Linux VMs

Post by t481 »

Hello,
We're having a problem with VeeamONE generating "false alarms" for the /boot partition on our Linux VMs. I don't want to exclude the entire VMs obviously but is there a way to exclude certain volumes from the alarms?
Shestakov
Veteran

Re: Exclude /boot in Linux VMs

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Yes, there is an option. Do you mean "guest disk free space" alarm?
Thanks
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Exclude /boot in Linux VMs

Post by t481 »

That's right.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You need to set the desired partitions in "Disk to monitor" field.