Hardware sensors collection failure after V8 upgrade

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Hardware sensors collection failure after V8 upgrade

Veeam Logoby KimmoJ » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 am

Just upgraded to V8 as well from 7 and have this issue also. I was wondering what was going on since it worked fine in 7. Thought I'd chime in and put myself on the notification list for this thread in case suddenly, a wild solution appears.
KimmoJ
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kimmo Jaskari

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:32 am

In version 7 we have used collection via MOB (Managed Object Browser) and CIM-SMASH protocol. In version 8 we have switched to CIM-SMASH protocol which VMware says a preferred way of monitoring hardware sensors. If CIM service is misbehaving for some reason, you will see this kind of errors.

Currently, we are exploring other methods of collecting hosts hardware.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby rferrigno » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm having the same problem. I've been working with support for a few weeks now with no resolution.
rferrigno
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert Ferrigno

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Robert, can you please tell me your case ID?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rferrigno » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:44 pm 1 person likes this post

After reading more in depth information on how the CIM server works I was able to solve this in my environment maybe it will be helpful to some of you. In order to gather hardware data Veeam uses CIM and makes an HTTPS call on port 5989. So I went into IE and typed this in https://IPofesxiserver:5989 and I got a certificate error followed by a 501 error which is what you should get. Next I tried via the FQDN which Veeam uses like this. https://esxihost.company.com:5989 and it failed outright. No cert error. I was able to ping the FQDN and use nslookup so I decided to look at the settings in IE. It ended up being the proxy settings. Internet options-connections-Lan settings. I removed the proxy and everything started working. You could also add the FQDN to the bypass if you need to keep the proxy enabled. That's it problem solved.
rferrigno
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert Ferrigno

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi Robert, thank you for sharing your knowledge, I will forward this info to our dev team.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby stingray75 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:57 pm

We use two DNS systems at my company, one is AD integrated (amer.intra zone) and the other is Infoblox (us.intra zone) which is used for all hosts (Linux, Windows, AIX etc). Our ESX hosts are only registered in Infoblox us.intra as they are not Windows hosts - this is global policy, and we're not allowed to create static entries in AD DNS. Workstations/servers have amer.intra and us.intra in the suffix search list so names in both zones are always resolve.

In order to use AD integration, we specify Configuration -> DNS and Routing -> Domain as amer.intra. However, the problem we have now is that Veeam tries to resolve servername.amer.intra and this fails. Could there be an option to ignore the domain setting so it resolves servername to servername.us.intra, or force it to add .us.intra instead?

I tried using hosts files and it works, but we have nearly 100 hosts and the environment can be fluid, so I really don't want to use hosts files.

Thanks

Matt
stingray75
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi Matthew,

What if you specify DNS server (Infoblox) as a secondary server on your Veeam ONE server in the Window Server settings? Based on my knowledge it should also solve the DNS resolution problem.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby init-s » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi,

I can update this thread with my case, for the same problem: case ID 00677996 for VEEAM and case ID 1935005 for OVH (the infrastructure is managed by OVH that has acknowledge the problem).
init-s
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrea Cerrito

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 am

Guys, I just wanted to let you know, that our support team now has a debug tool (kudos to our dev team for that) that verifies CIM service availability and has an option to switch to another way of collecting host hardware sensors. We will validate this tool (need to make sure that it works in every environment), and then will roll-out a public update for this issue. Thanks everyone who has submitted their case IDs.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby marcode » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Same problem here, support case is 00702529
marcode
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Descher

Veeam Logoby ihopley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Same problem here: Case 00702943.
ihopley
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Isaac Hopley

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 pm

For everyone who is experiencing the same issue, ask your engineer to validate sensors status with a debug tool. This will help us to nail down CIM service health state and response times.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tlawler » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue. My case #00700666

I have confirmed the servers ability to ping the domain & names in DNS setting on VCenter Server.
tlawler
Novice

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:47 am

What about our support utility that was built for verifying sensors availability ? Does it collect the data?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE