Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

host memory pressure wrong

Post by tym »

Hi,

VEEAM One is telling us that the memory pressure on one of our hosts is constantly at 85%, where it is actually not nearly 40%. We recently upgraded the hosts memory from 72 to 168 GB and since then, it seems as if VO does only see the old value. Completely removing the hyper-v cluster from vo and adding it again had no effect.
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Tim
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: host memory pressure wrong

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Tim!
Looks like you are doing everything correct.
What about other memory performance metrics, like memory usage, does they show decent results? You can compare them with rates from the Performance Monitor of the host.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Additionally, can you please check if you have any errors in top pane where internal alarms are displayed?
tym
Enthusiast

Post by tym »

Hi,

thought this was solved, but acutally, it is not. VO keeps telling me that memory pressure is constantly around 80% and fires warnings because of this. Memory usage is always at 50%. What is the difference between those two values?

Best,
Tim
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Tim,

Indeed the metrics are different and can`t be compared. Usage is a percentage of available machine memory, while Pressure shows a potentional memory demand that is based on total allocated memory for running VMs, memory overhead, effects of memory Transparent Page Sharing and total available memory.
We advise to set the alarm thresholds to 110-120% for warning and 140-150% for error. In the next version we will make it our default values.

Thanks
tym
Enthusiast

Post by tym »

ok, thanks for the explanation. So, considered that none of our vms have a max memory value configured, I would guess that this is the reason for the warnings?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Probably yes. If you have a warning caused by memory pressure counter, I`d suggest to change the thresholds to Warning=110% Error=140%
Thanks!