Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

How this Veeam ONE process works?

Post by ibarizz »

We realized that Veeam ONE creates or changes local accounts of the "Veeam_*" format on the Veeam ONE server machine.

This is explained in this kb: https://www.veeam.com/kb4042

The KB explains the cause of this process and why it does it. But I need to know the process in depth. I need to know at what specific moment Veeam executes the creation of this user and when it deletes it. We need to defend this in front of cybersecurity so that they understand the reason for the process itself.

Thank you!
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: How this Veeam ONE process works?

Post by RomanK » 1 person likes this post

Hello ibarizz,

The monitoring service is unable to work with no-windows user accounts. That is why when the user logs in as a tenant, the service creates a "proxy" account. There is no association with the tenant itself. The account has a random password and minimum permissions granted.
The account was deleted by timeout as KB mentions.

Thanks
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by ibarizz »

Thank you Roman!
And may I ask, is there any way to schedule those account's creation or it's practically impossible? Thank you!
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello ibarizz,

I'm not sure I fully understood about the schedule, could you please clarify your use case?

Currently, the account creates almost immediately during the login procedure. It is possible to set only InactiveLocalUserKeepIntervalSec in the registry.

Thanks