Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

in Veeam One 'Repository Overview', what is "space usage: Other"?

Post by edison5000 »

Already have a ticket open that is being worked on partially related to this, Case #05532535

We would ignore it, but it keeps growing. (There are a couple files besides the Backup directory on the repo, but they're not bigger than a few mb - some old logs that we're going to delete shortly). This 'other' is in the 16TB range.

https://imgur.com/a/mjoJ9gH

If we browse the repo folder in Windows Explorer, can't find any sign of whatever this is. No new hidden directories we can see (both the hidden recycle bin and system volume information show to be 0 bytes). If we right click the repo disk in Windows Explorer, the total free space available matches the free space available shown in Veeam One, so that seems to be correct. It's not logs as the logs are not on the repo disk.

I feel like it is somehow part of the Backup content, but for some reason it is not counted as 'backup' content in Veeam One.

There are no orphan disks anywhere that we can see, either.

Thoughts?

Thx!
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Re: in Veeam One 'Repository Overview', what is "space usage: Other"?

Post by RomanK »

Hello edison5000

Thanks for the case number. I've checked and found no known bugs related to the "Repository Overview" math.

In general, all data came from VBR WMI. There are two options: the data is correct and there are in fact "other" files or the data is incorrect, delayed, outdated, etc. The latter would be seen in the logs.

Please continue to work with our support engineers. I'm confident they will find the cause of this issue. Also, feel free to escalate the ticket (talk to manager button within the support portal), if you are not satisfied with the quality or time of response.
Thanks!
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

update: So far, they have been unable to find cause. Strangely, on creation of an additional local repo, which was then used to create a SOBR, Veeam One seems to have reinstantiated data in the database. This has had the effect of eliminating 'Other' entirely from the first Repo, and now it is appearing on the second Repo at 1+ TB. However, this too is slowly growing, despite there being no obvious hidden files in Windows Explorer, and there being no detectable hidden folders on Repo2 beside $Recycle.Bin and System Volume Information, which in total are only 129kb.

The only folder on the new Repo2 is Backups, which, as far as I know, should not contain 'other', if I understand the Veeam One reporting.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello edison5000,

Thanks for the update. I'll ping our support management.
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Thanks Roman. However, it is still being examined so I don't know they're out of ideas just yet. Since the 'other' # is way lower now, it is less urgent. I figured I would post again in case anyone else had heard of this.