Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Installed Patch 1 for ONE 6.5 and VeeamDCS service doesn't start

Post by Daveyd »

I just installed Patch 1 and now the VeeamDCS service does not start. I am waiting on the phone (now for 13 minutes) for a Veeam tech to answer. Service cannot find the VeeamDCS.exe file
Daveyd
Veteran

Re: Patch #1 (build 6.5.0.686) [December 18, 2012]

Post by Daveyd »

After 23 minutes waiting for a tech I decided to hang up, restore from backup and try again. 23 minutes on hold waiting for a tech is a bit crazy to me.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave, let me ping our support manager to fix this...

EDIT: Looks like we had some phone issues in our US office. Everything should be back online now.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

On top of that, can you please tell me what Windows version are you at? As far as I know you're running everything in a typical installation mode, right?
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd » 1 person likes this post

Vit- I just started an Instant Recovery of the server to make sure I am back up and running. I'll sVmotion the server then try to take the update again tomorrow.

I am running 2008R2. Yea, typical setup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarification. Is the old VM still present in your VI? Will it be possible to collect the debug log files (%TEMP%) and send them to our support team?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Hi Dave,

I'm very sorry to hear about your hold time today. Dave, we were experiencing some technical difficulties with our phone systems so this hold time is not normal. We have one of our engineers reaching out to you ASAP.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov » 1 person likes this post

Dave,

Support will contact you again today as we would like to have a WebEx session with you to see what is going on online.
Our engineer has already sent you an email asking for a convenient time to have a remote session. See you online Dave :)

Thanks,
VM.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Thank you for all your help Vit! After I did get a call almost immediately after you posted your message. After restoring the VM, I ran the patch again and it was successful this time. Not sure what happened last time...maybe I didn't double click the executable fast enough? :mrgreen:

Anyways, I want to thank you as well as the Veeam techs who were involved with my issue. Once again, Veeam support gets top rankings in my book.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Dave,

Awesome news !!! Glad to know you're up and running, and thanks for all your kind words. I will pass them to the team ... Support folks do love to hear/see positive comments on their work ;)

Cheers,
- VM.
Marc.H
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Marc Holbe

Post by Marc.H »

I installed patch 1 and even restarted the server - but in the GUI it says Veeam One Monitoring Server is initializing. Please wait.....
Service seems to be started
Marc.H
Enthusiast

Post by Marc.H »

Hey - seems that I have not waited long enough - finally it came back and all looks good
Marc.H
Enthusiast

Post by Marc.H »

Sorry - me again - in the GUI under about it still says 6.5.0.676 - any other place I can check if the upgrade patch was successfull?

Whereas I guess it's only the GUI client that is still on 6.5.0.676 and the VeeamDCS.exe shows 6.5.0.686 in the properties of the file.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Mark,
Marc.H wrote:Hey - seems that I have not waited long enough - finally it came back and all looks good
Excellent. :)
Marc.H wrote:Sorry - me again - in the GUI under about it still says 6.5.0.676 - any other place I can check if the upgrade patch was successfull?
We did not change anything in Veeam ONE Monitor GUI. That's why you still see build .676 over there. This is a version of a Veeam ONE Monitor client itself.
To check services' versions you may use Veeam ONE Settings utility which is located here (by default):

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE Settings\VeeamOneSettings.exe
Should any further help or assistance be required, please feel free asking our support team.

Thanks,
-VM.
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

I've just hit a similar problem to the original poster (I think).

Patch popped up an error box regarding failed attempt to update file although on hitting OK patch continued and claimed it had finished successfully.

Veeam One Monitor Server service is now "disabled" and obviously not running, attempts to manually start it identify that the executable cannot be found.

Could someone let me know where the patch install logs are stored as I foolishly didn't note the popup error assuming I can review the log instead.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

mcwill wrote:I've just hit a similar problem to the original poster (I think).

Patch popped up an error box regarding failed attempt to update file although on hitting OK patch continued and claimed it had finished successfully.

Veeam One Monitor Server service is now "disabled" and obviously not running, attempts to manually start it identify that the executable cannot be found.

Could someone let me know where the patch install logs are stored as I foolishly didn't note the popup error assuming I can review the log instead.
Exactly the same thing that happened to me and I didn't make note of the error either.

Log files on a 2008R2 server are located at C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Setup\Temp and a 2003 server at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Veeam\Setup\Temp

In my care no log files were created and/or deleted!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Iain,

The patch log files should be located in the user %temp% folder, please check it out. Also can you please run the patch one more time, as I was told that this might fix the problem which original poster (Dave) had.

Thanks!
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

No patch logs in the %temp% folder.

Attempting patch a second temp runs to completion with no error reported but sevice is still disabled and executeable associated with service is still missing.

Am waiting for a call back from support, will update when cause found.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

Veeam Software Customer Support team has finished investigating this particular issue.
We've found that in case of using some security policies within a Windows environment it's necessary to execute the patch using "Run as administrator" option, so the executable does have all the necessary permissions to complete the installation/upgrade procedure. Given this, I would recommend you using this option while you're installing the patch for Veeam ONE v6.5, regardless of security restrictions applied within your environment :)

Thanks to all who was involved into this research. We appreciate your assistance and all the cooperation provided.

-VM.