Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mrodriguezCC
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Rodriguez

Postgres vs SQL

Post by mrodriguezCC » 1 person likes this post

Can anyone tell me if future versions (hopefully the next one), will be using Postgres instead of SQL, like the VBR's are switching to?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Postgres vs SQL

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum.
Veeam One V12 will continue to use MSSQL as the database. There are dependencies on MSSQL components which cannot be simply replaced by Postgres.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK » 2 people like this post

Hello Michael,

Recently when I discussed this question with devs they told, me that in theory, it should not be hard just to switch the database for the UI data. But currently, Veeam ONE is using SSRS for the reports and that is the сase. They would need to rewrite and test each and every report as well as a few other things related to reporting services. It's a big task.

As Fabian mentioned, v12 would use MSSQL and we cannot comment anything about the future as things are subject to change.

Was it just a question of curiosity or do you have issues with MSSQL and Veeam ONE?

Thanks.
mrodriguezCC
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Rodriguez

Post by mrodriguezCC »

Its not really an issue, but clients that have large infrastructures and do not want to pay for an SQL license, they will not have reporting enabled for the Virtual Infrastructure tab.

Thank you for your responses.
kpolsana
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Koushik Polsana

Post by kpolsana »

Hello,
Sorry for this is being out of scope in this thread but I'm looking to add PostgreSQL to Power BI desktop, when adding the connection I was getting error saying "we encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "PostgreSQL: SSPI aurgebtucation but integrated security not enabled " I really appreciate if you can help fix this issue. Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Koushik

That question seems out of Veeam's scope.
From reading the error message, you have to enable additional security mechanism inside the PostgreSQL database.
Have you tried to find an answer in PostgreSQL support forums? I found some blogs and guides with Google.
As an example this wiki link: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Config ... on_Windows

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I just wonder now that V12 has been released to service providers what the roadmap look like for VeeamOne to switch to PosgreSQL?
We upgraded out development infrastructure a few days ago, and all is well, but we'd really like to see PostgreSQL as a deployment/migration option for VeeamOne.

I fully understand the SSRS dependencies but I think it would be to everyone's benefits if these could be worked through and replaced with cross platform equivalents.
On some of our own development projects we are starting to use Birt etc where applicable.
The SQL Express instance size issue is the main issue specifically with VeeamOne, and this requires regular intervention to keep it within size limits.

Eventually we'd love to see all the Veeam products including the main Backup and replication product available to run on PostgreSQL and deployable on Linux platforms to avoid unnecessary Microsoft licensing and to be able to scale to our requirements.

thanks again.
Ashley
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Ashley,

You are right, benefits are seen and the SQL Express limitations are annoying.
On the other side, nothing has changed since my last post in this thread. Each and every report must be rewritten then tested then, probably, rewritten again and probably optimized to the new database. There are also other complicated things and not only reporting would be affected.

I can't add anything to the above at least now.

Thank you for the feedback and stay tuned
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

mrodriguezCC wrote: Aug 29, 2022 6:28 pm Can anyone tell me if future versions (hopefully the next one), will be using Postgres instead of SQL, like the VBR's are switching to?
Yes, I agree with @Mildur,

The Custom Reporting service is utilizing the Microsoft SQL Server features.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */