Purging Old Data

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Purging Old Data

Veeam Logoby squirrel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Shestakov wrote:Hello Martin,

There are security events coming from Hyper-V hosts that soil the database. Please contact Veeam technical support for the hot fix.

Thanks.

What does that mean exactly? I'm monitoring Hyper-V hosts (no VMware yet), so is there a bug that I need to have a hotfix for fixing "junk events" in the Veeam ONE database?

I just discovered that my database is out of space (at 10 GB limit because of SQL 2008 R2 Express), so I need to clear up some space. I'm wondering if the Hyper-V security events filled up my database?
squirrel
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Hello,
Yes, there was a Hyper-V issue of flooded Veeam ONE database with events from the Windows security log.
It has been fixed in the Veeam ONE 8 Patch 1. Please review and install.
Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby squirrel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Shestakov wrote:Hello,
Yes, there was a Hyper-V issue of flooded Veeam ONE database with events from the Windows security log.
It has been fixed in the Veeam ONE 8 Patch 1. Please review and install.
Thanks.

How do I clear out the trash from the Windows security log that got put in my Veeam ONE database then?
squirrel
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:24 am

You can ask our support team for assistance with this, they should have a script for that.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Purge old data from Veeam ONE database

Veeam Logoby JonM1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi

Using SQL Express DB for Veeam ONE v8 and it's almost full I think - getting warnings about DB size. Although i've reduced the retention policy the DB size hasn't gone down. I've seen similar posts about people trying the same thing and the DB size staying the same, so is there a way to manually purge the old data? I know we can move the DB to SQL Server but don't wish to do this.

Thanks
Jon
JonM1
Novice

Full Name: Jon Murray

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Jon,

Shrinking retention period is the easiest way. As was mentioned in the thread above, the task to clean database by retention executes once a day in Veeam One Monitor, once a week in Veeam One Reporter. Probably, you just need to wait for a while.

When did you change the retention? What version are you at? Are you using VMware ESX(i) or Hyper-V visualization? Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Also can you please tell us how many hosts/VMs and datastores you're monitoring?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JonM1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

Hi,

I reduced the retention period well over a week ago now, so I would have expected it to go down by now if that method was going to work.

Using version 8.0.0.1669 with VMware. 7 hosts, 36 datastores and approx 157 VMs.

VeeamONE DB says 9.99GB

Thanks
Jon
JonM1
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:46 am

Hi Jon and thanks for updating.
JonM1 wrote:Although i've reduced the retention policy the DB size hasn't gone down.

Could you specify the retention policy changes you made? Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JonM1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi,

I reduced it from 12 months down to 6 months.

Thanks
JonM1
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Could you check what is the oldest performance data you have? The easy way is to check some performance metrics in the Monitor choosing "last year" period. So we will see if the older data is gone.
If you have 6 months of data or less, you need either to migrate Veeam One database to SQL Server standard(or higher) or change periodicity of the collection. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JonM1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 pm

OK, it goes back to January this year so looks like the data isn't there anymore, although the DB hasn't shrunk in size to reflect that? Would that not be expected?

Thanks
JonM1
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Great, the older data has been cleaned, in according to the preset retention. Have you checked what was the oldest data before you changed the retention?
Probably, size of the remaining data is still 10GB and nevertheless you changed the retention you`ve already reached the SQL Express DB maximum.

To be 100% sure if Veeam One works correctly, I would change the retention from 6 to 4 months (or 5 if you didn`t add new object to monitor in the last 6 months), wait for a week to see if the size will be shrunk. If yes, 6 months is the limit for your current infrastructure and DB. If it`s still 10GB, it`s better to contact Veeam support for the issue investigation. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:40 pm

If you shrink it with a SQL Management Studio, do you see the change of the database size?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JonM1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:35 pm

OK so I shrunk it with SSMS and it went down to 9.22GB :/

I will change it from 6 months to 5/4 months and wait and see if it goes down further or I can shrink it some more. If not, then it will need to be migrated I guess.

Thanks for the help
JonM1
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE