Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

Report for long running jobs

Post by pirx »

Hi,

as our BCJ use synthetic operations they run for a long time. I'm looking for a report that shows a list with the duration of all BCJ for a given time or something like a top n list. From "Backup Copy Job" report I don't get job duration. "JOB HISTORY" seems not to include BCJ at all. "LATEST JOB STATUS" shows the duration, but only for the last time the job ran. This will not include older jobs with merge/syn full/compact operations.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Report for long running jobs

Post by wishr »

Hi,

Job history shows backup copy jobs and contains information on the backup copy job duration. Could you please check it one more time?

Update: Job history only shows VM copy and File copy jobs, as of now.

Thanks
pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

No, there is nothing in it about BCJ.

Example for a job: https://imgur.com/tHyGIuB

Our copy jobs all start with BCJ.

In the description es also says "Backup & Replication jobs"
Description

This report provides historical information for all Veeam Backup & Replication jobs.
Report Parameters

Scope: Backup Infrastructure
Job Type: All
Job Name: All Jobs
Interval: Current month (01.01.2021 - 31.01.2021)
pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

If I just select "VM Copy" and then try to chose a Job Name, I get an empty list. So I guess I've to open a case (done #04612784).
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Thank you.

As far as I see our support engineers need some additional log data.

Also, I'm personally curious, what kind of workloads are stored in the backups being transferred by backup copy jobs you'd like to report on? Are those typical vSphere VMs or something else?
pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

Nothing fancy, just VM's.

wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Thanks for confirming. Definitely looks suspicious to not have them listed in the report. I'll keep an eye on the case.
pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

I got feedback from support that Copy Jobs are not available in Job History. That's... surprising to say the least. So I'm back to 0, where do I get the duration for backup copy job?
For the Backup Copy Job type please use Backup Copy Job report, as such type of jobs is not available in Job History report - you can find only VM Copy and File Copy job types there.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Pirx,

I went through the support case and realized that our support engineers are correct. I apologize for giving the wrong info and will modify my post above to not confuse anyone.

The point is that the backup copy job (periodic copy) does not have a duration. It is running continuously and transfers the data according to the configured time intervals.
Backup copy jobs running in the immediate mode do not have duration either, because under the hood there are "child jobs" processing a VM (or any other workload) individually. So the job itself which you see in the VBR UI does not have a real duration. On the other hand, underlying tasks and sessions have a duration.

Am I right assuming that all of your backup copy jobs are running in the mirroring mode? Also, please let me know if you have Per-VM backup files configured in the source repository settings or not.

Thanks
pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx » 2 people like this post

With mirror you mean immediate copy? Most of our BCJ are immediate at least one is periodic copy.

The funny thing is, that all the needed data is available in Veeam (ONE). In fact I can use "Backup Infrastructure Custom Data" report and I get the job duration. But only for the latest task, no history.

Code: Select all

Backup Infrastructure Custom Data
Description

This report allows to define your own parameters and filters to get custom backup information. The report should be used if maximum flexibility is required.
Report Parameters

Scope:
Backup Infrastructure
Object Type:
Backup Job
Columns:
Job Name, Last Run Start Time, Last Run Duration, Last Run Transferred Data (GB)
Custom Filter:  ([Job Name] like 'BCJ%')

Job Name           Last Run Start Time       Last Run Duration         Last Run Transferred Data (GB)
BCJ_BJ-DE-.....   Feb  1 2021 3:07AM       7 h 39 m 40 s                179.32

Which matches the duration of the BCJ task.

01.02.2021 03:07:29 :: Job started at 01.02.2021 03:07:26
01.02.2021 10:47:07 :: Job finished at 01.02.2021 10:47:07
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for answering. Yes, I meant immediate copy.

Unfortunately, historical information on the duration of the Backup Copy (immediate copy) job sessions is not available in the reports at this moment. On the other hand, historical info on the duration of the Backup Copy (Periodic copy) job sessions is present in the VM and Computer protection history report, on a per-workload basis in the form of start time and end time.

While I've made a note for enhancing the Job History and other reports with historical backup copy data including duration, the upcoming v11 release adds support for Backup Copy (Immediate copy) in the VM and computer protection history report which may be helpful for this use-case.