Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Security Q: Connecting Veeam One to a hardened VBR install

Post by lando_uk »

I've setup a hardened VBR system, off the domain etc.

My Veeam One is on a domain server. I've added the local usernames/pw's of the VBR servers for the Data Protection view. Are these credentials safe and encrypted on the VONE or could a compromised admin account harvest them?

- I read somewhere that the credentials saved on the VBR server are easily hacked if you have local admin, is this true on vone?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Security Q: Connecting Veeam One to a hardened VBR install

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
It's the same with every software that stores credentials: an administrator can decrypt them. It's not "hacked" :-) It's just how storing, encrypting and using passwords works. It's the same with every software that stores credentials (e.g. your browser saved credentials)

We documented that in https://www.veeam.com/kb4349 (it's actually in the security section user guide since "always")

Best regards
Hannes
PS: in V12 we change authentication to certificate-based. So there are no passwords stored anymore
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Just to confirm, I'm not talking about the VBR Database, I'm talking about the Veeam One config - The username/pw you use to connect to the VBR, is that stored in the vone DB using the same method?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, the concept is everywhere the same... whether you take Google Chrome, VBR or ONE or any other software that is using Microsoft's data protection API (dpapi)
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

So to connect to the VBR for monitoring, rather than using the VBR admin user, can i setup a new non-admin user on VBR that only allows ONE read-only access to data too keep the backup files safe?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

you need the permissions described in the user guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/d ... ml?ver=110

In V12, you enter the credentials once for the initial connections. The password is not stored and certificate based authentication is used between ONE and VBR