Since v6.5 upgrade "Host hardware sensor status changed"

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Since v6.5 upgrade "Host hardware sensor status changed"

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Ian, can you please check hardware status for these sensors in vSphere Client? Also please look through this topic for the possible explanation of this situation. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cffit » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm

ijefferson, I have the exact same sensors reporting as unkown and have been unable to resolve my issue. If you look in vCenter you will proabably see these listed as unknown as well. Since you are using Dell and I am using HP, and we both have this issue, I can't understand what server platform would actually work and not report back unkown on so many sensors.

So far it sounds like the only two other people that have had this issue have disabled/removed the rule and nobody has actually got things to work properly. Has anyone on this post been able to get the sensors to show up properly? If so, what was your path to the solution? I understand that VEEAM is just pulling what vCenter is able to report on, so technically the issue is there and not in VEEAM, but at the same time if HP and Dell systems aren't getting vCenter the sensor information then that tells me there must be very few server vendors that can. If this is the case then is it really a good idea to have VEEAM use this information by default?
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby ijefferson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 pm

To be fair, a lot of them I'm suprised it's picked up. It seems to go into a lot of details.

Attached screenshot of my sensors window (presuming it's the right bit, I'm still fairly new to this) and the unknown ones all seem to appear where there is no status rightly or wrongly (should there be a status for vmnic's for example?)

Any advice appreciated. :)

Edit: The only one which is correctly reported as Unknown in Veeam and is Unknown in vSphere is from my other host correctly reporting the 2nd Power supply as unknown because it doesn't currently have one.

So if I'm just supposed to ignore these sensors from the rule, could you guide me through the quickest way to do this? Also presumably if vSphere isn't returning a status to Veeam, then logically Veeam should ignore the status too rather then flagging as unknown?

Thanks again.

(editted again due to me awful mistyping!)
ijefferson
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Jefferson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the screenshot, currently our R&D team is researching on how to workaround this issue and do not trigger this alarm for "stateless" sensors (for ex. vmnic and so on). This will allow you to be notified when one of the sensors that should have the state goes to "unknown" state.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ijefferson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks Vitaliy

So just sit tight and wait for the time being? :)

Cheers

Ian
ijefferson
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Jefferson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, once I have more details, I will update this topic.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cffit » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks Vitaliy. That's what I was hoping to hear. And thanks VEEAM support for being responsive to the customer!
cffit
Expert

Veeam Logoby connelp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Just to add, I have just upgraded to 6.5 and am having exactly the same issue.

What's strange for me is that if look in VSphere I can see the details of, for example, all my DIMMs but if I look in VEEAM One it tells me they are 'unknown'.
connelp
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm

The status should be the same in both Veeam ONE Monitor Client and vSphere Client, if you see a different picture, then you should open the support case.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cffit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm

connelp,

IF you expand the details of the DIMM (click the + sign next to each one) it will show serveral things like Capacity, Speed, Memory Type, Status, Chip Type and Number. The Status is what reads "Unknown" for me and thus triggers the alarm in VEEAM. What do you see listed after "Status" here? I suspect it is "Unknown". At least it's that way for me.
cffit
Expert

Veeam Logoby monkeymagic79 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi All

I am also getting this for my company and one of our customers who we have updated. Veeam Monitor shows an unknown status but in vCentre we see all the details and status as green.

I was watching this forum as Vitaliy mentioned R&D were looking into this and he would report back. are you now saying I need to raise a support case for this issue. If the answer is yes does this suggest you now have a fix?

Many thanks
monkeymagic79
Influencer

Full Name: Dan Mulliss

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm

I believe there are two different issues discussed in this thread, let me sum them up to avoid confusion:

1. Hardware sensor alarm is triggered for "stateless" sensors, the sensors that do not have any state in vSphere Client (see screenshot from Ian Jefferson, vmnic sensors).
2. Some sensors might have "unknown" state in the status column in Monitor Client while having status "Normal" in vSphere Client (and vice versa).

Our R&D team has found the way to resolve the first issue with "stateless" sensors and is already working on the hotfix. It's better to open the support case to be notified when this fix becomes available.

As to the second one, then there is no fix for that, and this issue should be investigated by our and VMware support teams.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby connelp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 am

cffit wrote:connelp,

IF you expand the details of the DIMM (click the + sign next to each one) it will show serveral things like Capacity, Speed, Memory Type, Status, Chip Type and Number. The Status is what reads "Unknown" for me and thus triggers the alarm in VEEAM. What do you see listed after "Status" here? I suspect it is "Unknown". At least it's that way for me.

Ah yes, that's the case exactly. I'm running Proliant G5s BTW.
connelp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby cffit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Any update from VEEAM on whether this is going to be addressed in any upcoming patch? I read that the B&R product has the first patch coming out later this week and just wondered if the same was true for this product. Thanks!
cffit
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Christensen,

Yes, we are also going to release a patch for Veeam ONE that should address this issue. This patch should be available very soon (the time-frame depends on the pilot deployment results).

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE