Since v6.5 upgrade "Host hardware sensor status changed"

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Since v6.5 upgrade "Host hardware sensor status changed"

Veeam Logoby GarethWilson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 am

Did you want to get them to contact me (we do have a support contract for veeam B & R and veeam one) on 01792 602020 ?
GarethWilson
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am

You need to open a support case on this issue and give a reference to this thread, and I will ask to escalate it to the dev team for further investigation.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby GarethWilson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 am

Case number 00175512
GarethWilson
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby DaveCox » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Is there any update on this? I am running 6.5 with update 1; DL380 G5; vcenter is reporting "unknown"; veeam is reporting "unknown".
DaveCox
Lurker

Full Name: David Cox

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 pm

Well... If vCenter server reports unknown status there is little we can do. You should check it with the hardware vendor technical team or disable this alarm for the sensor in question.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby GarethWilson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

yes i have currently got a call open with vmware but i am not holding my hopes up.....Surely as a vmware partner veeam could be talking to vmware about this issue ?
GarethWilson
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:23 pm

You're right, we always try to work with VMware on the issues we can resolve together, but keep mind that we do not control the way how VMware retrieves this information from the ESX(I) hosts. I believe it shouldn't be hard for them to nail down this issue. Also be aware that the list of hardware sensors solely depends on your hardware make and model, so it might also be a firmware issue.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby DaveCox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

My confusion then. From your description (below) i thought that if vcenter was resporting unknown (screenshot from Ian Jefferson) this is "stateless" and your hotfix would sort it. That didnt make sense to me.

1. Hardware sensor alarm is triggered for "stateless" sensors, the sensors that do not have any state in vSphere Client (see screenshot from Ian Jefferson, vmnic sensors).
2. Some sensors might have "unknown" state in the status column in Monitor Client while having status "Normal" in vSphere Client (and vice versa).

Our R&D team has found the way to resolve the first issue with "stateless" sensors and is already working on the hotfix.
DaveCox
Lurker

Full Name: David Cox

Veeam Logoby GarethWilson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 am

The only fix seems to be to disable these alarms on the processor CPU cache...
GarethWilson
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am

DaveCox wrote:From your description (below) i thought that if vcenter was resporting unknown (screenshot from Ian Jefferson) this is "stateless" and your hotfix would sort it. That didnt make sense to me.

Not exactly, "unknown" is still a state for the hardware sensor. Stateless sensors are sensors that do not have any state at all.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cstemaly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

What I did to get rid of the error was to edit the alarm settings, and then disable the "unknown" section (at the bottom) which causes the warning. This way, I figure that I would still be alerted if a power supply or CPU went out. Is that thinking correct?
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, that's correct. Also you can disable this alarm for a particular hardware sensor if you navigate to Hosts->Hardware tab within the Monitor Client.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby stevenrodenburg1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 pm

GarethWilson wrote:The only fix seems to be to disable these alarms on the processor CPU cache...

Yep. I've seen this at several customers (using several different HW vendors/models) after upgrading to Patch1.
Disabling the CPU cache alarm always reverts those servers back to "green". It is a pain in the ass however if one has to do it for each and every server. I have not found a way to just disable that CPU cache checking in Alarm Management -> VMware -> Host -> Host Hardware Status.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Veeam Logoby Robert M. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Guys,
is the last entry of Stevenrodenburg1 the "final statement" ? -> just for Information -> I checked the "unknown Status" on an HP BL460C Gen8 on which is running ESXi 5.1.0-799733 and the same was happening. In this post section, I found that there some cases were opened, but without success for a fine solution - correct ? (Only the hint for disabling the "Alarm or Hardware Sensor-Settings") - but maybe someone got a new solution ?
Robert M.
Lurker

Full Name: Robert Marhofer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 am

Robert, there is no "solution" at the moment as we retrieve status for the hardware sensors from VMware. If status is reported as unknown, then it also gets reflected in the UI.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE