v9 - Pages per second errors

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

v9 - Pages per second errors

Veeam Logoby adrianh » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello,

Upgraded to v9 a few weeks ago and i constantly get this error on all my hosts. The thing is I never used to on v8, and if i look at resource monitor on the server and perfmon my servers are all nearly zero, nevermind the predefined 500-1500 for 15 min threshold. Is there a bug in here? This is a hyper-v environment.

Alarm:Host Memory Pages Usage
Time:3/9/2016 5:16:27 PM
Details:All alarm metrics are back to normal

KB article
Summary:The counter shows the rate at which pages are read from or written to disk to resolve hard page faults. This counter is a primary indicator of the types of faults that cause system-wide delays
Cause:To resolve hard page faults, the operating system swaps the contents of memory to disk, which negatively impacts performance. A high number of pages per second in correlation with low available physical memory may indicate a lack of physical memory
Resolution:Run Veeam ONE 'Oversized VMs' and 'Idle VMs' reports to optimize memory allocation. Remove superfluous software. Run maintenance tasks off peak times. If the alarm appears during backup operations, consider Off-host backup infrastructure
adrianh
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Re: v9 - Pages per second errors

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello,

Does it happen during some backup/maintenance activity or it occurs randomly?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby adrianh » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes its random
adrianh
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Can you please both screenshot to compare the numbers?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:12 am

I am also getting this error. Veeam is running on my Hyper-V Host. The host has 24 GB of RAM and there is only one VM configured with 4 GB. So there should be plenty of RAM available. Alarm is triggered mainly around the backup job times (Endpoint, VM and Backup Copy Jobs). Should I get even more RAM or is Veeam always using RAM to the max?
Anguel
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Proxy server tries to use all available memory resources during the backup activity. Best practice is to shift the load from the production Hyper-V offsite leveraging off-host backup.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 396 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:50 am

So it looks like in a small company we have to turn the warnings off. Not the most elegant solution.
Anguel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:40 am

You can suppress it for the time when backups jobs are running.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Tue May 10, 2016 2:36 pm

FYI: I added additional 16 GB of RAM (which is probably overkill) and now I don't get the warning anymore.
Anguel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue May 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks for updating the thread, Anguel!
Have you added 16GB to host or VM?
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 pm

To host.
Anguel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Glad it works but it still looks strange.
Having 1 VM with configured 4GB of RAM on 24 or 40GB should not cause any memory issues on the host.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Mon May 30, 2016 9:04 am

The memory pages error has reappeared again and appears multiple times per day - I have now just turned off the alarm.
Regarding the fact that I am running the probably most basic configuration of Veeam I am constantly getting some strange errors. The "copy job exceeded backup window" error is still being investigated by Veeam since months...
From time to time I get "host unknown" errors for endpoint backups for no particular reason. From time to time I also get "Source restore point is locked by another job" errors - somehow Veeam does not properly schedule things.
We have to do business and can't constantly report errors and send error logs to Veeam, regarding the fact that we use the most basic configuration possible - Veeam on Hyper-V host with backup to local storage and backup copy to NAS.
I am leaving it now as is - giving up...
Anguel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon May 30, 2016 9:55 am

Anguel,
I`m really sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing your feedback though. Could you provide your support case number so I can discuss the issues with the support engineer?
Anguel wrote:The "copy job exceeded backup window" error is still being investigated by Veeam since months...

Do you use backup windows? Does exceed really happen with your backup jobs?
Anguel wrote:From time to time I also get "Source restore point is locked by another job" errors - somehow Veeam does not properly schedule things.

That happens if 2 jobs of different priorities want to work with the same backup file.
If these situations happen you just need to tune your Veeam B&R instead of turning off Veeam ONE alarms. Let me know if assistance is needed here.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:10 am

Just an update on exceeded backup window problem: This has now been confirmed as a bug, although it does not seem to have a negative impact on backup, and should be fixed in next releases. I still think that it must have been seen during proper testing. As I said, I have the most basic config ever and the bug always showed up.

Regarding the restore point locked problem: I still wonder why Veeam is not able to schedule jobs properly so they don't overlap.
Anguel
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Veeam ONE