Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Anchor_13
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam one 11 and B&R 11 on the same server

Post by Anchor_13 »

Is this supported solution? I did test this earlier on version 10 and experienced a Catalyst connection issue.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam one 11 and B&R 11 on the same server

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Yes it is supported. It is a matter of resources as usual.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Anchor,

Yes, this deployment scenario is supported and was supported by v10. I would recommend opening a support case if you face any issues with it.

Thanks
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

Want to ask All-in-one Veeam components deploy on physical server: VBR + Veeam Enterprise Manager + Veeam ONE

I have a Physical Server (HPE Apollo 4200 , designed for Storage ) that will have Veeam VBR (use SQL Server Express) + Repo roles.
Not a big environment: less than 100 VMs, 10 hosts or less.

1) If the HPE Apollo physical server has resources, is there any issue if we install Veeam Enterprise Manager + Veeam ONE (all SQL Server Express) on it as well ?

2) So there will be 3 SQL Server Express instances each limited to 1GB memory and 4 cores of the processor. Correct?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

1) If the HPE Apollo physical server has resources, is there any issue if we install Veeam Enterprise Manager + Veeam ONE (all SQL Server Express) on it as well ?
Yes, it will work. No technical issue to expect. Best practice would be using another machine for Veeam One, because the system which monitors your backup server shouldn't rely on the same hardware as the backup server itself.
Same for the Enterprise Manager. I would use another VM, just to have a failsafe for the password recovery feature if you loose your VBR server and have forgot the encryption password.
2) So there will be 3 SQL Server Express instances each limited to 1GB memory and 4 cores of the processor. Correct?
Installed on the same server, all three products are using the same SQL instance (VEEAMSQL2016) if you don't install your own instance.
The Veeam One Database could get really fast over the 10GB size limitation. We don't recommend to use SQL Express for Veeam One. But using the calculator it looks ok to use SQL Express for your environment: https://www.veeam.com/kb2246
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

Thanks Mildur,
but can I 1st install 3 separate SQL Server Express instances on single server (eg named as VEEAMSQL2016, VeeamEntMgr, VeeamONE), then install the apps ?
Any details/steps to do such SQL Server Express installs? and the required features for the different SQL instances ?
I think Veeam ONE's SQL need more features like SSRS compared to the VBR and Enterprise Manager ?

Above would also apply if we install Enterprise Manager + Veeam ONE on a VM, i.e. 2 separate SQL Server Express instances on same VM.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi

Yes you can. When you install the products, you can choose any SQL Server/Instance instead of using the default one.
Starting with V12, you can migrate VBR and Enterprise Manager to PostgreSQL, if you want. With PostgreSQL, you don't have the limitations from SQL Express. My recommendation, stay with one instance for VBR and VEM, and migrate to PostgreSQL after V12 is released.
Any details/steps to do such SQL Server Express installs? and the required features for the different SQL instances ?
I think Veeam ONE's SQL need more features like SSRS compared to the VBR and Enterprise Manager ?
As far as I know, SSRS is not supported with SQL Express. The default installation of Veeam One doesn't require SSRS. It's an optional configuration.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
As Fabian mentioned, I would totally split the services between different Servers. If that Apollo is running Windows as it seems, even perhaps enable Hyper-V role and put VONE there inside.

Anyways, with 100 VMs, and 10 Hosts, with 12 months worth of metrics and using Typical Data Collection Mode on VONE, you will face the 10GB limit, and VONE will start giving you alerts, etc. More info on calculator here: I would recommend a dedicated SQL instance along with Veeam ONE, or change the Data Collection Mode to Advanced, so you will have it every 15 minutes metrics, instead every 20 seconds.

Hope it helps.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion