Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Veeam One First time install guidance

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

I will be purchasing Veeam Essentials Enterprise edition shortly for an upcoming project.

I will have to install the Backup Master,Proxy and Repository roles onto a physical DC as that is all that is available outside of the Vmware HOST hardware. It will has the SAS card connection to an LTO-6 tape drive. I am aware the recommendations about SQL on a DC and they are not likely to be a problem for us:

From MS article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... DC_support

"For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a computer that is a domain controller, but the following limitations apply:
You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local service account.

After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller.
After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain member.
SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster nodes are domain controllers.
SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server service accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup will fail."

As for Veeam One component however it looks for this article that it can't be installed on a DC due to the lack of a local security group:

http://www.veeam.com/kb1581

I am assuming then I could just install the Veeam One component on a File Server VM member server while keeping the Veeam B&R component on the DC.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One First time install guidance

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can deploy Veeam ONE server on any other machine and keep backup components on that physical box. This would give you less load on the backup proxy server and will lead to better backup job performance.