Veeam One Hyper-V alert confusion

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Veeam One Hyper-V alert confusion

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:26 pm

ekhouser614 wrote:What I can't find though is a good explanation of how we have the proxy setup. I read one place the proxy must have "direct access" to the shared storage such as iscsi to a SAN and other places it just needs "access to the host and VMs".

What kind of storage(local/CSV/SMB3) do you have? For CSV and local storage the source Hyper-V host and the off-host backup proxy must be connected (through a SAN configuration) to the shared storage.
ekhouser614 wrote:The proxy is just another physical server with Hyper-V role installed and the clustered hosts are on the same LAN. Is this also not best practice? If so, I will need to just use on-host backups and not use off-host proxies.

It`s the recommended approach, on-host proxy will slow down VMs and backup processing.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby ekhouser614 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 am

The virtual infrastructure is on a Dell VRTX server which is a blade server and SAS drives shared by the blades. There is no way to physically connect another host unless I install another blade itself and use it that way since we are a small shop and do not have a SAN. That said, it appears I have no option other than on-host backups correct?
ekhouser614
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Houser

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 am

You can check what backup method is used by looking into backup job results for particular VM. It`s told what proxy and backup transport mode were used.
By default if VBR can not use off-host transport mode it fails over the on-host.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ekhouser614 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:37 pm

This I have seen, but the question is, with the below described infrastructure, what would be required? Does the proxy have to have a physical or logical (iscsi) connection to the CSV of the host cluster? Is there no way to create a proxy that is a stand-alone host without this connection?
ekhouser614
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Houser

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes, one of the requirements is a connection between source Hyper-V host, off-host backup proxy and the shared storage.
Please check the link for more information.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam ONE