Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jason, makes sense . Let me check if there is a possibility to do that. Thank you!
chillware
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David McCoy

Post by chillware »

I would like to be able to apply alarm excludes to VM folders in vSphere, right now I can only exclude an Object or a Container. We have virtual desktops and vmware view creates the desktops in pools, which are created as folders in vsphere. Several of the folders have 'floating desktops' that are constantly getting shutdown, deleted and re-created etc. I am always getting alerts that these VMs are shut down or have missing heartbeats. I don't care about alerts for the floating desktops, I know they are coming and going all the time..

I tried applying the exclude the an obejct, but as soon as it's deleted and recreated by View the exclude is gone. So if I could exclude based on the folder the VM lives in, all would be well. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What about grouping VMs via Business View rules and then assigning alarms according to VM folders categorization?
chillware
Influencer
Full Name: David McCoy

Post by chillware »

Vitaliy S. wrote:What about grouping VMs via Business View rules and then assigning alarms according to VM folders categorization?
Hadn't thought of that, I'll check it out and let you know. thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I remember VM folders categorization should be available via Business View rules. Thanks!
robincm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Post by robincm »

Few things from a new-ish user:
I'd like to be able to edit VM alarm rules such that there is a priority over how the rules are triggered within a given alarm.
e.g. VM generic error - Alarm Settings - Rules
Currently has a single Event rule, Event name is VmMessageWarningEvent, severity is Warning.
I'd like to be able to add a new rule that'd be triggered on the same event, but only if the Event text contains "Insufficient video RAM", and set the severity to Information. Because this would be at a higher priority, the default rule (with no event text specified) would the not trigger and I'd thus only get an Information level event logged, rather than a warning.
It'd also be nice to be able to use "event text does NOT contain" and wildcards etc. when creating the rules.

Also, I'd like to be able to specify the Guest disk space alarm rule parameters in MB as well as GB, or to be able to use decimal places if stuck with GB. I have a lot of servers with less than 1GB of free space, which I'm happy with, but now they are always giving me errors in Veeam. However I would like to know if they go below 500MB/0.5GB.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robin,
robincm wrote:I'd like to be able to add a new rule that'd be triggered on the same event, but only if the Event text contains "Insufficient video RAM", and set the severity to Information. Because this would be at a higher priority, the default rule (with no event text specified) would the not trigger and I'd thus only get an Information level event logged, rather than a warning.
Have you tried adding another event based rule to this alarm with the same event name, but different text message? I think it should address your question, though need to double-check the proposed configuration in my internal lab.
robincm wrote:Also, I'd like to be able to specify the Guest disk space alarm rule parameters in MB as well as GB, or to be able to use decimal places if stuck with GB. I have a lot of servers with less than 1GB of free space, which I'm happy with, but now they are always giving me errors in Veeam. However I would like to know if they go below 500MB/0.5GB.
Good suggestion, I will ask to add this capability in the upcoming version.

Thanks for the feedback!
robincm
Influencer

Post by robincm »

Hi Vitaliy,
Yes I think I did try adding a second rule - I think I then just got two things logged - one warning and one information. Was a while ago so I might be wrong, but I definitely tried something along these lines. Am new to the product though so perhaps did it slightly wrong. If you're able to test and let me know if you're able to get the result I want then I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know how to do it :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I have just tried the configuration with two triggers and the alarm was fired twice. I will discuss this feature with the dev team. Thanks again!
robincm
Influencer

Post by robincm »

Thanks very much!
stemplar
Influencer
Full Name: Simon Templar

Post by stemplar »

It was once posted in 2012. about esxtop data in Veeam. Of course it would be cool to have a working version of visualESX in Veeam One.

But what would really be helpful is to have a lookup of VM to GID, so I can expand the VMworlds threads in esxtop. This is becoming more important as the svg world becomes more demanding and in our case, mks seems to be hit by Windows WPF. The blog posts I've found so far were useless. Only visualESX on the VSCSI tab, get that job done. But that one hangs every few minutes.

Of course I would not mind and SSH integration into veeam one to display esxtop, (but only when passwords can be stored at the client side), otherwise, I have enough tools of that kind.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon, thanks for a detailed feedback. I will discuss this feature with our dev team for the next releases.
dexidus
Lurker
Full Name: Donna Taylor

Post by dexidus »

It would be just really AWESOME if you could put the dates on the top column of the VM Backup Status Report in Veeam ONE............... :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Donna, what about showing "last backup date" right on the VM summary tab in Veeam ONE Monitor Client? :) thanks for the feedback!
dexidus
Lurker
Full Name: Donna Taylor

Post by dexidus »

I need to email the report, so the above "dates on columns" would be best for me right now. But I do see the value in the suggestion provided. Thanks!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, so repeating data that we specify in the report parameters for each day would be helpful, right? Let me check if we can squeeze this into v8 release.
pjahnz
Novice

Post by pjahnz »

Would like to see additional alarm suppression options when setting a time period to allow for suppression on specific day(s) of the week and/or days of the month (first, last, etc).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,

In our next version scheduled to be released next month we have extended alarm suppression options, so you could select days and specific hours for alarms suppression.

Let me know what you think on this when you see it. Thanks!
robincm
Influencer

Post by robincm »

Probably a bit late for the next version now, but it'd be handy if Veeam ONE could monitor all the vSphere maximums and let you know if you're getting close to any of them. e.g. I recently discovered that we have 250 fibre channel LUNs presented to a host, and the maximum is 256.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/ ... ximums.pdf
As you probably know, these change depending on the vSphere version.
Some would be easier to monitor/report on than others, but even something like a weekly report showing how close you are to any of them would be better than blindly running into them without realising. Happy to discuss more, mail me :-)
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robin,

Yes, that is actually a good idea. I think it does make sense for storage paths monitoring, as I'm not sure how you would use information about getting closer to the max limit of RAM per VM, NICs, video memory etc.

Thanks!
Kyrikaze
Influencer

Post by Kyrikaze » 1 person likes this post

Always the same wish...I was disappointed to not see in Veeam Monitor 8 the capacity of monitoring Windows services as we can do with Nagios, Icinga, Centreon, Shinken, ect...It don't make sens to have 2 Tools for managing and monitoring our system.
You should really think about this feature.
Veeam One really have a card to play here. I don't think that I'm alone, in each IT infrastructure, we have to monitor ours Windows or linux services.
Today, I have to use Veeam One and another product to do the job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback, this feature is still on my radar.
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

Can I suggest a check for vsphere SSL cert expiry date.

There are 7-8 SSL certs used by the windows hosted vcenter setup that require manual renewing even if self-signed by your local Cert Services. A heads-up warning when the SSL Certs are within 30 days of expiry would be useful.

Thanks,
Iain
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Iain,

What is the default expiration date for these certs?

Thanks!
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

Vitaliy,

They default to two years, just long enough to forget all about it.

If you replace them before expiry there is a VMware tool that will "help" automate the replacement. However if left to expire its a 2-3 hour manual task spread over half a dozen vmware kbs.

Iain
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks! We will take a look at this.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Kyrikaze wrote:Always the same wish...I was disappointed to not see in Veeam Monitor 8 the capacity of monitoring Windows services as we can do with Nagios, Icinga, Centreon, Shinken, ect...It don't make sens to have 2 Tools for managing and monitoring our system.
You should really think about this feature.
Veeam One really have a card to play here. I don't think that I'm alone, in each IT infrastructure, we have to monitor ours Windows or linux services.
Today, I have to use Veeam One and another product to do the job.
There's a relative simple way to implement this. Check which Windows services have the startup type 'automatic' and periodically validate if the service is running. I think it's even possible to validate this through the VMware Tools.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ted, thanks for your feedback!
DannyO
Lurker

Post by DannyO »

This is what i wish from Veeam ONE Monitor for now

1. When putting an item in Maintenance mode allow options for example Put in Maintenance for: 1 hour, 2 hours, 12 hours, 1 day and then it automatically turns on again.
2. Option to auto send mail to alarm users that an object is put into Maintenance mode and when it's back to normal mode.

Many other monitoring systems have these features and I really miss them in Veeam ONE.
Thank you Veeam for great products and a very professional support team!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good idea, I will ask our dev team to add it in the next updates.