Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Karl-Heinz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Karl-Heinz Hildebrandt

Re: Veeam ONE v6 feedback/wishlist

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Karl,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Currently if you would like to see multiple objects in the same performance report, I would suggest using Custom Performance report that does you give you such flexibility.

Thank you.
Hm, not really. Even in a customized dashboard (Example: VMWare performance | Top VMs read latency) I am fixed to 10 VMs, not customizable. The "View full report" option even then does not give me the option to choose more then one VM, and the report itself (Action | create report) only gives me the virtual machine performance data charts, but no latency charts.
Inside veeam one monitor I can have this list as chart and table (Infrastructure View | Datastores , Disk I/O, Stack by: virtual machines, Chart view: Datastore read latency, Period: last week), but how do I print this?

Thanks
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Hi,

I would like to have an addition for the report "oversized virtual machines":

Show us the oversized disks, so that we know about wasted disk space inside the VMs.

Thanks Karl-Heinz
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Karl-Heinz wrote:Hm, not really. Even in a customized dashboard (Example: VMWare performance | Top VMs read latency) I am fixed to 10 VMs, not customizable.
I'm not referring to a custom dashboard, you need to navigate to Workspace tab -> Templates -> and choose VMware Custom Performance.
Karl-Heinz wrote:Show us the oversized disks, so that we know about wasted disk space inside the VMs.
Would you like to compare the capacity of created disk partitions vs. virtual disk capacity or "wasted space" is something else?
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Would you like to compare the capacity of created disk partitions vs. virtual disk capacity or "wasted space" is something else?
Hello and sorry, did not explain correctly.

What I would like to have:

Customer wants a virtual machine with 100 GB diskspace, but in the end uses much less. If I could see this in "VMWare Oversized virtual Machines" (used disk space vs. given disk space inside the VM) it would be nice.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Karl, so basically you're looking for the wasted space (the sum of blocks marked as "deleted") inside the VM to compare this value with used disk space from the VM perspective, right?
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Karl, so basically you're looking for the wasted space (the sum of blocks marked as "deleted") inside the VM to compare this value with used disk space from the VM perspective, right?
Hi,

In veeam ONE reporter workspace you deliver a page, which shows me the Oversized Virtual Machines with CPU and Memory (peak and average) usage. When there could be columns concerning disk space (peak, average, now used), I could see VMs with oversized/overallocated disks. Those blocks inside the VM are not nesessarily deleted, maybe even "never used", but from VM perspective the blocks are assigned. I am no friend of thin provisioning, so I prefer giving the space which is needed from the beginning, instead of hoping the place on the datastores will be sufficient in the future.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for clarifications.

I didn't realize we were talking about thick disks. If you want to see "virtual disk used space" vs. "used disk space inside the VM", you can navigate to Custom Infrastructure report, choose Virtual Machine as an object and then add these columns to the report: Name, Partition: Capacity Total, Partition: Free space, Virtual Disk: Size Total, Virtual Disk: Size.

This should give you the report you need.
gittings
Novice
Full Name: Mark

Post by gittings »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Jake, have you had a chance to review our web-based "Datastore" dashboard as it basically "repeats" and extends everything what we had in v5? Thanks!
My Datastore view returns with No data available. Is this because I have ESX 4.1?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I doubt that. Could you please tell me if you see any datastore data in Monitor Client?
gittings
Novice
Full Name: Mark

Post by gittings »

I see datastore issues, but all of the performance statistics return with no data available.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Then it's better to contact our support team and let them investigate your debug logs files. Thanks!
MustQ
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Young

Post by MustQ »

VeeamOne does not seem to be compatible with SureBackup. When I run a SureBackup job, an alarm is generated because there is a momentary time where there is a "duplicate MAC address". Selecting to "suppress" the alarm during a "Veeam backup operation" does not stop this alarm from happening.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you're right. Veeam Backup operation is only "aware" about backup jobs, but thanks for the feedback!
tietzjd
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe Tietz

Post by tietzjd »

VeeamOne needs to report on B&R and be fully awere of it too. I would also like to see report on the size and expected growth rate of my backups to plan bandwidth for cross datacenter backups.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joe,

You would like to have some kind of capacity planning report for your backup repositories, correct? What about other reports? If you could share your ideas, that would help us to deliver these reports a lot faster :)

Thanks!
tietzjd
Influencer

Post by tietzjd »

Vitaliy,

Veeam already as formula for calculating bandwidth "Shared on Whiteboard Fridays". If could get size of change files of my backup in report, with some analytics of predicted growth. It would help with Bandwidth and storage requirements planning. B&R has some great reporting but no future like that, and I still love to have single pane to Monitor my Hypervisor and backups. Plugin’s to vCenter Client or SCCVM would be rather cool too.

I could just write down the size of delta's in spreedseet and get this infromation, but I don't want lose 30 MIN's a day I just gained with Veeam Excahnge Exploer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

tietzjd wrote:Veeam already as formula for calculating bandwidth "Shared on Whiteboard Fridays".
Yes, that's not a problem, I was just trying to figure out what OTHER reports you would like to see ;)
tietzjd wrote:I just gained with Veeam Excahnge Exploer.
Enjoy your testing! :)
rcooke
Novice

Post by rcooke »

Is there a timeline for an update Capacity Report pack for version 6? This is one of our key requirements as we look to decide on a VMware management tool.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Capacity planning report pack is going to be available in the next minor update which should happen later this year.
rcooke
Novice

Post by rcooke »

When adding a widget to a Dashboard in Reporter, move the "Caption" section from the first page to the last one. Sometimes you're not going to know exactly what widget you're going to add until after you find it and then you need to go back
a couple of pages to put in the Caption.
gmorris
Enthusiast
Full Name: Glen Morris

Post by gmorris »

I would like to see the following features

1. Some sort of Charge back feature, maybe not a true charge back but maybe a cost justification feature at least and have an option to input all expenses and then have the system calculate how much each resource is using/costing.

2. The opposite of the Wasted Resources report and report on suggestions to improve your environment, i.e. add memory or other resources.
tietzjd
Influencer

Post by tietzjd »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Capacity planning report pack is going to be available in the next minor update which should happen later this year.
This would be big... it's key item some shops with 1000+ hosts are looking for.
eleutscher
Lurker

Post by eleutscher »

We monitor multiple Vcenters for our Customers with VEEAM ONE. We use SNMP traps to sent alerts to our main monitoring tool HP Openview.
In the datastore traps the name of the datastore is sent. Unfortunately some customers are using the same datastore name which makes it for me impossible to reconize the customers within the SNMP trap because no DNS name or VCenter name is being sent within that trap.
Is it possible to sent more information like the VCenter name in the trap?

Thx,
Erik
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Erik,

Currently it is not possible, however let me investigate possibilities of adding this functionality into our next releases.

Thank you!
PatrickS1
Influencer
Full Name: Patrick

Post by PatrickS1 »

It would be so awesome if Veeam would cooperate with storage vendors like DataCore to gather data as well from their systems to offer a complete overview over an environment. Some vendors lack on a long term monitoring solutions and we are just barely able to analyze the incoming load over time.
If that were possible, I can't imagine an customer without Veeam ONE :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Patrick,

What kind of storage I/O information you're currently missing from VMware API? Could you please elaborate it a bit further?

Thanks!
PatrickS1
Influencer

Post by PatrickS1 »

Hi

The big problem is that some storage vendors don't provide a sufficient and accurate long time monitoring.
So it's actually impossible to align the data collected by VMware / Veaam with the information from the storage vendor.
It would be nice if we were able to compare the provided values from vCenter/ESXi with the stats the storage array can see, like IOPS on the target port, cache stats, queue stats, etc.
I know I’m maybe a bit too enthusiastic and optimistic and but it would be great if there were a tool which is capable of monitoring your complete VI and SAN.

Due to my job as VMware & storage engineer my focus is on I/O stats 
So it would be nice to “follow” to I/Os through all layers from the VM to the VMDK, VMFS, HBA, FC switch until it arrives in the storage array

And I just realized that one VMware part is missing, how about to add a chart for the hba/driver queue?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thank you for the feedback!
PatrickS1
Influencer

Post by PatrickS1 » 1 person likes this post

Hello again

I don't know if this is even possible to gather granular (< 20 sec.) stats via VMware APIs, but it would be nice if Veeam ONE were able to enable an on demand real time monitoring for let’s say 24 hrs.

I spent some time to compare I/O stats gathered by perfmon (inside the VM), esxtop, vCenter performance graphs and on the storage backend.
As expected the values gathered by esxtop (2 sec. interval) and the storage backend were close to be identical.

The vCenter performance graphs sometimes reported 50% lower values as esxtop/the backend.
This is due to the fact that the graph uses 20 sec intervals and all collected values in between will be “averaged”.
So even if there is a low base load < 20 I/Os, a high peek let’s say 2000 I/Os, and an average of 500 I/Os, the vCenter graph will report ~ 1000 I/Os for the last 20 sec. And if you rely only on these stats you may be far of what’s really happening.

As non-native speaker it’s not easy to explain such a complicated scenario, sorry for that :shock:

So If there’s a way to gather more detailed stats than the default 20 sec. it would be awesome to implement a kind of on demand real time monitoring.
Let’s say this mode would enable me to set/select:

Duration: like 24 hrs.
Stats: CPU/MEM/Disk(I/O) to reduce the performance impact
Objects: VM(s)/Host(s)

This would offer a detailed overview of what’s going on and will help me to plan future extensions, based on reliable stats.

Regards
Patrick
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Patrick, 20 seconds interval is the minimum you can get via VMware API. I believe that this kind of granularity should be more than enough in most of the cases. Anyway, thanks for sharing your use case, much appreciated.