Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, we will discuss this FR internally. Thanks again.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

Getting SQL backup job reports just for the DBA team would be great. They are not interested in seeing that the "VM" was backed up, they only want to know SQL was successful! And I'm not talking about the existing "periodic" sql historical reports, that is no good to us as we don't use that option.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
There is SQL Backup Job Historical Information showing if DB is protected.
Does it provide what you are looking for?
Thanks!
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

It doesn't work. Apparently I need to have the "periodic" log backup option enabled for it to show up in the report. We don't use that option.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sorry, but I`m not sure I fully understood your question. Could you elaborate on the request?
Did you mean that you need to know if SQL has been backed up correctly? The reports shows the protection state of databases.
Do you have SQL servers backed up in the same job with other VMs or you have a dedicated one?
Thanks!
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

Shestakov wrote:Did you mean that you need to know if SQL has been backed up correctly? The reports shows the protection state of databases.
Do you have SQL servers backed up in the same job with other VMs or you have a dedicated one?
Yes our DBA team wants to know if SQL has been backed up propery. Our SQL servers are configured in separate jobs, i.e. one backup job per SQL server. At the moment when I run this SQL historical report in Veeam One, it returns nothing. I checked with Support and they initially said I had to enable the "Backup logs periodically" option in the APIP section for this report to work.

I have the APIP settings set to require successful VSS processing and to Truncate logs.

Seems odd that a report will only work for a specific setting. I imagine alot of customers would use the settings I have used above, and expect to see the status of their SQL backups.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification.
If you have a backup job with the only VM being SQL server, successful backup job run means that the SQL server VM has been backed up with no issues.
You may run surebackup job to make sure it is recoverable.
btmaus
Expert

Post by btmaus »

Just wanting an option that can send out a report to a DBA team, of VM's containing SQL that have been backed up. Like I said, they don't care if a "VM" is protected, they want to see that SQL is backed up.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s a bit confusing.
If SQL in VM is not backed up successfully the job will not have success status.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo »

Has it ever been discussed/request for just the data protection view from VeeamOne to be licensed on its own or as a stand alone product? I'm thinking for customers that may have their Hypervisors/virtual environments monitored elsewhere, but still have a need for the data protection views/reports for their backup environments? Either a stand alone product (difficult I would expect) or just a VBR license to allow monitoring of just backup components, repos/proxies etc?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Craig,

In 9.5 we have a special "Veeam backup data only" collection mode, which collects data required by backup reports and dashboards only. Is this what you're after?

Thanks!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

Does that still require all hosts/VBR servers to be licensed?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, otherwise how would you license Veeam B&R reporting and monitoring? Any feedback is welcome!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

I suppose that's what I'm getting at/asking. If all I'm interested in is the VBR reporting, it can be very very expensive to license VeeamOne, just for that information. A stand alon VBR license would be of interest.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case there should be a separate SKU and the price should also vary depending on the size/amount for backup server, which leads to the per-socket licensing model again :) To make it cheaper, we usually recommend to look at Veeam Availability Suite or Essentials (both SKUs are bundled with Veeam ONE license).
ic_mcourtney
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mcourtney

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Is the Veeam ONE produce management team aware of Runecast Analyzer? It has some awesome capabilities that I think would make great additions to the Veeam ONE feature set:
  • It analyzes the vCenter/ESXi configuration against all VMware KB articles, hardening guides, and best practice recommendations, and can identify configuration issues sysadmins may not be aware of
  • It can be configured as a syslog destination for ESXi servers, and can parse logs in real time looking for issues that are addressed by VMware KB articles
Both of these features seem like a natural fit for Veeam ONE, I'd love to see them incorporated so I don't have to use two different products to monitor different aspects of my VMware environment.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Matty,
There are reports Configuration Assessment reports checking both VMware(Hyper-V) and Backup infrastructure best practices.
Veeam ONE doesn`t collect syslogs, but collects all VMware events. Linking to KB articles sounds interesting, we will take it into consideration.
Thanks for the feedback!
ic_mcourtney
Influencer

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Shestakov wrote: There are reports Configuration Assessment reports checking both VMware(Hyper-V) and Backup infrastructure best practices.
That's great! However, aligning to best practices is only one aspect of maintaining a healthy environment.
There are numerous VMware KB articles the describe scenarios that can result in PSOD when using specific hardware running certain combinations of firmware/drivers. Runecast Analyzer is able to determine which (if any) of these KB articles are applicable to the environment it's analyzing, and highlight them to a sysadmin.

A Configuration Assessment that merely checks an environment for alignment to best practices will not pick up things like in the example above.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point. We will investigate such a possibility.
Thanks for the feedback!
Melderskin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Punster

Post by Melderskin »

I have not searched the entire forum, but how about making a Web front end for VeeamONE instead of the client.
I am thinking a snappy HTML5 dynamic web page.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Do you mean a web access to Veeam ONE Monitor?
Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Currently there are no plans to create a HTML5 replacement for Veeam One "Fat Client". Web browsers are still improving in terms of HTML5 and the shift to HTML5 'applications' also requires to have an API to provide the correct calls. Web browsers were never made with this purpose but to serve normal websites ;-). However as the shift is slowly coming we'll have to look into this.

Currently you can use the dashboards & reports which are already created via the reporter.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
ic_mcourtney
Influencer

Post by ic_mcourtney »

vmniels wrote:Currently there are no plans to create a HTML5 replacement for Veeam One "Fat Client". Web browsers are still improving in terms of HTML5 and the shift to HTML5 'applications' also requires to have an API to provide the correct calls. Web browsers were never made with this purpose but to serve normal websites ;-). However as the shift is slowly coming we'll have to look into this.

Currently you can use the dashboards & reports which are already created via the reporter.
Given that the vCenter client moved to a HTML client a few years ago, and continues to improve, I think the shift for Veeam ONE is inevitable
thomasellaby
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Ellaby

Post by thomasellaby »

A mobile or iPad app would be very handy to have. To allow for report generation as well as low level vm management whilst not at computer or in a meeting.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Thomas and welcome to the community!
What kind of management would you like to get via the app?
Thanks!
wolfpack2412
Novice

Post by wolfpack2412 »

Hello,

We just upgraded to Veeam One 9.5.0.3254. In future releases I would love to see an update to the graph presentations that allowed you to get precise readings when you hover your mouse cursor over the graph and have that follow you with updated readings as you move throughout the graph. I realize it gives you certain readings, but I don't find it to be very accurate especially when looking at a busy graph.

I think it would also be great to be able to zoom in directly on the graph to get a clearer picture of what you are looking at. Also, being able to hide certain colors on the graph so that you can easily focus on one metric would be very handy as well. Some of the graphs can get very difficult to read when all of the colors for each metric are lumped together and you can't accurately pinpoint on a specific reading at a particular time.

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Could you clarify the first request? Would you like a dot or something showing the exact point in graph? What kind of information are you missing in the "readings"?
As for exclusion of graphs, it can be done in 2 clicks via Chart views>Custom.
Thanks!
wolfpack2412
Novice

Post by wolfpack2412 »

Hi Shestakov,

Yes exactly, a dot that would pinpoint exact location. I just think with a busy graph that could help with readability and allow you to see readings while hovering above the graph instead of having to place your cursor within the actual graph reading. This could also be useful for those graphs that generate very little data which might be a little tricky to see the readings.

Thanks for the info on graph exclusions, I'll play around with that further. I do see however that the custom view only appears to be available on graphs for each guest. This does not appear to be available on graphs involving specific hosts or datastores.

I think allowing you to remove or add graphs directly from the performance chart legend area would help as opposed to going into the custom view as well when maybe you don't have a desire to add or remove any displayed metrics but just want to better highlight/isolate a specific metric on a busy graph. It highlights that one metric now but leaves the others on the screen still.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I do agree with you on the dot in graphs, it should improve UX.

As for metrics enabling/disabling, I am with you that it`s better make it possible in 1 click rather than in 3. I`ve included the improvement in road map as well.
wolfpack2412
Novice

Post by wolfpack2412 »

Sounds good, thanks!