Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Veeam Logoby ic_mcourtney » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 am

Is the Veeam ONE produce management team aware of Runecast Analyzer? It has some awesome capabilities that I think would make great additions to the Veeam ONE feature set:

• It analyzes the vCenter/ESXi configuration against all VMware KB articles, hardening guides, and best practice recommendations, and can identify configuration issues sysadmins may not be aware of
  • It can be configured as a syslog destination for ESXi servers, and can parse logs in real time looking for issues that are addressed by VMware KB articles
Both of these features seem like a natural fit for Veeam ONE, I'd love to see them incorporated so I don't have to use two different products to monitor different aspects of my VMware environment.
ic_mcourtney
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matty Courtney

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:29 am

Hello Matty,
There are reports Configuration Assessment reports checking both VMware(Hyper-V) and Backup infrastructure best practices.
Veeam ONE doesn`t collect syslogs, but collects all VMware events. Linking to KB articles sounds interesting, we will take it into consideration.
Thanks for the feedback!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby ic_mcourtney » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Shestakov wrote:There are reports Configuration Assessment reports checking both VMware(Hyper-V) and Backup infrastructure best practices.

That's great! However, aligning to best practices is only one aspect of maintaining a healthy environment.
There are numerous VMware KB articles the describe scenarios that can result in PSOD when using specific hardware running certain combinations of firmware/drivers. Runecast Analyzer is able to determine which (if any) of these KB articles are applicable to the environment it's analyzing, and highlight them to a sysadmin.

A Configuration Assessment that merely checks an environment for alignment to best practices will not pick up things like in the example above.
ic_mcourtney
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am

I see your point. We will investigate such a possibility.
Thanks for the feedback!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Melderskin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 am

I have not searched the entire forum, but how about making a Web front end for VeeamONE instead of the client.
I am thinking a snappy HTML5 dynamic web page.
Melderskin
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Punster

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

Do you mean a web access to Veeam ONE Monitor?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 am

Currently there are no plans to create a HTML5 replacement for Veeam One "Fat Client". Web browsers are still improving in terms of HTML5 and the shift to HTML5 'applications' also requires to have an API to provide the correct calls. Web browsers were never made with this purpose but to serve normal websites ;-). However as the shift is slowly coming we'll have to look into this.

Currently you can use the dashboards & reports which are already created via the reporter.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 325 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby ic_mcourtney » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 am

vmniels wrote:Currently there are no plans to create a HTML5 replacement for Veeam One "Fat Client". Web browsers are still improving in terms of HTML5 and the shift to HTML5 'applications' also requires to have an API to provide the correct calls. Web browsers were never made with this purpose but to serve normal websites ;-). However as the shift is slowly coming we'll have to look into this.

Currently you can use the dashboards & reports which are already created via the reporter.

Given that the vCenter client moved to a HTML client a few years ago, and continues to improve, I think the shift for Veeam ONE is inevitable
ic_mcourtney
Novice

Veeam Logoby thomasellaby » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 am

A mobile or iPad app would be very handy to have. To allow for report generation as well as low level vm management whilst not at computer or in a meeting.
thomasellaby
Novice

Full Name: Thomas Ellaby

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello Thomas and welcome to the community!
What kind of management would you like to get via the app?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wolfpack2412 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello,

We just upgraded to Veeam One 9.5.0.3254. In future releases I would love to see an update to the graph presentations that allowed you to get precise readings when you hover your mouse cursor over the graph and have that follow you with updated readings as you move throughout the graph. I realize it gives you certain readings, but I don't find it to be very accurate especially when looking at a busy graph.

I think it would also be great to be able to zoom in directly on the graph to get a clearer picture of what you are looking at. Also, being able to hide certain colors on the graph so that you can easily focus on one metric would be very handy as well. Some of the graphs can get very difficult to read when all of the colors for each metric are lumped together and you can't accurately pinpoint on a specific reading at a particular time.

Thanks.
wolfpack2412
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello,
Could you clarify the first request? Would you like a dot or something showing the exact point in graph? What kind of information are you missing in the "readings"?
As for exclusion of graphs, it can be done in 2 clicks via Chart views>Custom.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wolfpack2412 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Shestakov,

Yes exactly, a dot that would pinpoint exact location. I just think with a busy graph that could help with readability and allow you to see readings while hovering above the graph instead of having to place your cursor within the actual graph reading. This could also be useful for those graphs that generate very little data which might be a little tricky to see the readings.

Thanks for the info on graph exclusions, I'll play around with that further. I do see however that the custom view only appears to be available on graphs for each guest. This does not appear to be available on graphs involving specific hosts or datastores.

I think allowing you to remove or add graphs directly from the performance chart legend area would help as opposed to going into the custom view as well when maybe you don't have a desire to add or remove any displayed metrics but just want to better highlight/isolate a specific metric on a busy graph. It highlights that one metric now but leaves the others on the screen still.
wolfpack2412
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm

I do agree with you on the dot in graphs, it should improve UX.

As for metrics enabling/disabling, I am with you that it`s better make it possible in 1 click rather than in 3. I`ve included the improvement in road map as well.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wolfpack2412 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Sounds good, thanks!
wolfpack2412
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE