Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
SimonEa
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Eady

Re: Veeam ONE v6 feedback/wishlist

Post by SimonEa »

One aspect I miss from Veeam 5.0 that does not seem to be present in Veeam ONE is the following

If you use multiple resource pools and you select RESOURCES and then the OVERALL tab you used to get colour coded break down of each Resource pool in the overall summary graphs, this now appears to be missing which is a big shame as it helped identify in a very visual form which resource pool was heavily in use etc..

Can we have this back in the next update? (or am I missing a tick box somewhere?)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Simon,

This view is still available, but you should be using individual performance subsystem (CPU, memory, network, datastore) tabs. Let me discuss with our R&D team whether it is possible to put this view back in the next updates.

Thank you!
SimonEa
Influencer

Post by SimonEa »

One feature (on the summary page) I miss from the previous version was the Percentages displayed of resources used/available, I always found this useful as a helpful "at a glance" check of what was going on.

Perhaps in the next version the Summary panel can be customisable?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon,

Our web-based dashboards that are build on widgets are already customizable, your idea of returning this value back is just perfect for these widgets.

Thanks for the feedback!
ivordillen
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ivor Dillen

Post by ivordillen »

I would like to be able to put vm's in different types of logging mode so for not important good working machines I would like to gather few stats but when I have a machine that gives me trouble or people complain about issues that I could keep a lot of stats (very detailed for +24h).

kind regards,

Ivor
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good idea, thank you!
ptmartin
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Martin

Post by ptmartin »

Is Veeam ONE 6.5 still on track for release by today? Very much looking forward to the new Capacity Planning reports and B&R integration.

Thanks,
Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul, didn't know we were planning to release it today :) On a serious note, Veeam ONE 6.5 has reached the final stage of verification process, so it should be available soon.
ptmartin
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Martin

Post by ptmartin »

Thanks Vitaliy! ;-)

Downloading it now.

Paul
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Feature wish/request for ONE v6.5 (and also BnR) email messa

Post by cpfleger »

Hello Vitaly,
hello community,

While BnR messages carry "Success", "Warning" and "Error" at the beginning of the reference line I personally feel ONE messages are more cryptic by putting the status at the finish of the line.
Not as easy to process with automatic email processing solutions and not as easy to read with portable systems (especially phone), displays and email clients which often truncate the reference line down to a few words or even less!

As for the content only the status line is colored according to traffic light colors but wouldn't it be easier to use that color in the "Server: machine" line as backgroud to get the main content immediately also by color first?
From my point of view the "status" line could be changed to "status before" with corresponding color of that state - that piece of information is only mentioned in the reference line of the email but not again in the content.

BnR on the other hand is missing it's footprint in the email reference line.

So what I could imagine would be a reference line format like following:

"[Success] (BnR) Jobname blah blah"
"[Warning] (BnR) Jobname blah blah"
"[Error] [(BnR) Jobname blah blah"

"[Reset/Resolved] (ONE) Alarm - blah blah"
"[Warning] (ONE) Alarm - blah blah"
"[Error] (ONE) Alarm - blah blah"

Just my 2 cents ...

Kind regards!
Claus Pfleger
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Claus,

Actually you can already adjust email subject format to the way you need. Please see our User Guide page 68 for further details. Is this what you've been looking for?

Thanks!
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Post by cpfleger »

Hi Vitaly,

Uh, yeah exactly !!! Should have read the manual first ...

For the colorization of the ONE alarm content: do you think there is a chance to get that out of the box or at least and probably even better user customizable (hope there isn't a solution for that yet inside the manual ;-) with next release?

Kind regards!
Claus Pfleger
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I think we can make it out of the box in the next updates, thanks for the feedback!
wahrheit2004
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: DW

Post by wahrheit2004 »

My whish:

Disable NFS-Datastore Latency warnings during SUREBACKUP jobs, as you do it for Backup jobs.
I have ~ 20Emails a day. :(.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback! Could you please tell me if you run SureBackup jobs at specific time during the day or not?
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Try to set up a suppression for needed alarm and define a time range when you're running your SureBackup jobs. This option is available in alarm's settings.
But I think you DO know where it is located ;)

-VM.
MustQ
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Young

Post by MustQ » 1 person likes this post

I come from a windows background, so I open Veeam One Monitor and I see the folders for my Virtual Machines, click on them and see that they are "uncategorized". My instinct / intuitive knee jerk reaction is that I should be able to right click the folder containing my VM's and have a menu to "categorize" my VM's. Of course that's not the case and it's a lot harder than that and you need to know how to make a complex formula to group your VMs...

So feature request, integrate your product more with Veeam One Monitor and let us admins have an easier time of organizing the monitoring layout.
SimonEa
Influencer

Post by SimonEa »

Can VeeamONE be Thin Provision Disk aware? so far as I can see it sees drives that are low on space and therefore setsup an alarm, but said volumes/disks are in fact thin provisioned, so will grow automatically.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon,

Veeam ONE is already aware about thin-provisioned disks. By saying alarms on low space, do you mean Guest disks alarms? If this is the case, then these alarms are relying on what your Guest OS sees in terms of provisioned capacity, and if you have VMware Tools installed on the monitored VM, you will see that our Guest Disk views on the VM summary page are already "aware" about thin provisioning.

Let me know if that answers your query.
SimonEa
Influencer

Post by SimonEa »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Simon,

Veeam ONE is already aware about thin-provisioned disks. By saying alarms on low space, do you mean Guest disks alarms? If this is the case, then these alarms are relying on what your Guest OS sees in terms of provisioned capacity, and if you have VMware Tools installed on the monitored VM, you will see that our Guest Disk views on the VM summary page are already "aware" about thin provisioning.

Let me know if that answers your query.
Ah ok.. I guess I will simply have to surpress the alarm per VM then?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can suppress it even per VM guest disk. To do that you need select "View all disks" om the summary tab and choose disks you want to exclude from monitoring.
KimmoJ
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kimmo Jaskari

Post by KimmoJ » 1 person likes this post

Drag and drop reorganization would be nice.

Especially in ONE Monitor.

Being quite new to the system I saw "Oh, there are the machines in uncategorized. Cool, I'll just drag and drop that one to Mission Critical and that one to Other!"

Of course that didn't work at all and I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to do it in Monitor - took me an inordinate amount of time to figure out you had to fire up the separate business view thing, go to Workspace and manually edit each entry separately by double-clicking there to set SLA.

Same thing with categories in general, I went to do the obvious in Monitor - right-click on the "Virtual Machines" folder expecting a "New Folder" options, but nope. There too you have to know to go to the Business View and this time find the Configuration under Groups.

It's all quite messy and spread out when one should have the ability to both drag and drop and right-click to set these things, in my opinion, in one location. Optionally, a way to lock out casual edits as well.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Makes total sense to me!
d.fletcher
Lurker
Full Name: denver fletcher

Post by d.fletcher »

I'm a Veeam newbie, and was favourably impressed with the good 'high level design/architecture' documentation for Veeam Backup & Recovery. I haven't been able to find that for Veeam ONE (and I see a few other people have had questions on the topic), so I think it would be quite useful for a lot of new people.

(You want a lot of new customers, right? :) )

Gimme pictures!

... with words.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Denver,

Veeam ONE is even easier than Veeam B&R ;) The architecture and deployment guidelines (Deployment Guide) can be found on our product page: http://www.veeam.com/virtualization-man ... urces.html

Thanks!
d.fletcher
Lurker
Full Name: denver fletcher

Post by d.fletcher »

Bingo. I knew it had to be there somewhere. Thanks.
nharvey
Lurker
Full Name: Nicholas H

Post by nharvey »

Not sure if it's been submitted already:

When I close / open Monitor, I'd like for it to save my config (views, settings, etc.)
Example: Memory tab I have the "custom view" set for "Percentage" only. Its annoying to reset it every time I open the app!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks!
Mac
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi! We are testing VeeamOne 6.5 to monitor several customers' farms, and one (silly) thing I'd like to be able to do is to assign a label to vcenters or hosts and veeam b&r servers. Right now my workaround is to assign aliases in the hosts file, as once you have quite a few servers listed things start to get messy :P
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi! Do you want to categorize existing physical resources with these labels? Have you considered using Business View for that?