Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am

I would appreciate if you could share your positive and negative experiences with v6. Besides, if there is anything you would like to see in the next versions, please post it here and let us know. Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam ONE v6 feedback/wishlist

Veeam Logoby indyjake » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Vitaliy,
I would like to see the Summary Tab on the Datastore object similar to what we had with v5. I liked seeing the Top Datastore Read and Write Latency charts there and I haven't seen anything like it in v6.
Jake
indyjake
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jake

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi Jake, have you had a chance to review our web-based "Datastore" dashboard as it basically "repeats" and extends everything what we had in v5? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wil2liv » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 pm

I miss the Virtual Infrastructure Summary and Overview tabs. I really miss the speed dials on the Summary tab that showed CPU, Memory and Storage usage. That was the main screen I usually had up. I also liked the Overview that showed all vCenter Servers, number of VM's, DataStores and event counts.
wil2liv
Lurker

Full Name: Will Childers

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Will,

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. The biggest part from what you're missing have been moved to our reports and reporting dashboards. Furthermore, we have extended our previous functionality with even more capabilities allowing you to generate a report based on almost any widget you see on a predefined dashboard.

Btw, did you know that you can now share these dashboards and reports with your colleagues just by sending a direct URL link to them?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hdejongh » Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to exclude certain datastore from the host disk write latency.
I have a simple "image" nfs share which has a high latency some of the time. That generates errors which arent important.
But i cant disable host disk write latency cause then my other luns wont be monitored...

regards

hans
hdejongh
Novice

Full Name: Hans de Jongh

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue May 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Hans, good suggestion, thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 am

Hans, actually you can create this alarm even today!

Just navigate to Alarm Management tab-> Datastore alarms -> create new alarm -> choose "Rule for specific condition or state". In the drop-down list you will find the datastore latency metric. After alarm rule configuration is complete, assign this alarm on all your datastores, this will allow you to exlclude that "chatty" NFS datastore from monitoring.

Thanks again for bringing this in!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bigfriggin » Mon May 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Would love alternate-OS implementations of the fat Veeam ONE (and Backup & Replication) client. Either through a native binary (unlikely, right?) or through virtualization. I'd love to have a ONE client able to run on my Mac via Wine.
bigfriggin
Novice

Full Name: Big Friggin Unit

Veeam Logoby twrangham » Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I have a couple wishlist items :D

Reporter
Ability to have Captions for your custom Dashboard. I have a lovely dashboard, but dont know what the widgets are monitoring.

Monitor
Further customization for alarm email notifications. To distinguish between Warning and Error rather than having combined

Deleting Custom Alarms can be a pain, and dont like to go away

Being able to rt click and put VM in maintenance mode so no alarms are sent just for it. Would denote different icon

Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email

As other poster mentioned I'd like to see other OS version of the Monitor client or for it to just go Web-based.

And its prob just me, but I dont 100% trust the snapshot alarms.

Thats it, love the product!
twrangham
Novice

Full Name: Travis Wrangham

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue May 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Travis,

twrangham wrote:Ability to have Captions for your custom Dashboard. I have a lovely dashboard, but dont know what the widgets are monitoring.

Why not to use dashboard and widgets names to specify the purpose of the widget/dashboard? Do you want it to be implemented in a different way? If yes, could you please share your ideas?
twrangham wrote:Further customization for alarm email notifications. To distinguish between Warning and Error rather than having combined

But we already have it, you can choose to send email notifications only when the error threshold is reached.
twrangham wrote:Deleting Custom Alarms can be a pain, and dont like to go away

Can you please elaborate? Right now I'm working on improving our alarms and email notifications workflow, so I would love to hear your thoughts on that ;)
twrangham wrote:Being able to rt click and put VM in maintenance mode so no alarms are sent just for it. Would denote different icon

Nice!
twrangham wrote:Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email

This functionality is already there, please take a look at Monitor Server Settings -> Alarms tab -> uncheck "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal".

And thanks for the feedback!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby twrangham » Wed May 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Why not to use dashboard and widgets names to specify the purpose of the widget/dashboard? Do you want it to be implemented in a different way? If yes, could you please share your ideas?

MAybe its just me, and I need an image to show it, but try this. Create a new Dashboard, for a sample Widget choose VMware PErformance, Top VMs IOPs, then some level of your Virtual Infrastructure. When the Widget is displayed on my dashboard there are no captions or label of what this data is. Just some VMs with arrows and different #'s. :)

But we already have it, you can choose to send email notifications only when the error threshold is reached.

I think I am just being picky here. I would prefer have email distribution list get notified of Errors only, which is there now. But instead of the different email DL getting the same Error, just have them get Warning only. Not a huge deal.

Can you please elaborate? Right now I'm working on improving our alarms and email notifications workflow, so I would love to hear your thoughts on that

Ok, upon further testing, this does appear to be working correctly now. Not sure what was happening before.

Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email

This functionality is already there, please take a look at Monitor Server Settings -> Alarms tab -> uncheck "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal".

No, I am referring to when you rt click an alarm and say resolve. Those still send emails even when "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal" is unchecked. :?

Again, thanks for the responses!
twrangham
Novice

Full Name: Travis Wrangham

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 am

twrangham wrote:No, I am referring to when you rt click an alarm and say resolve. Those still send emails even when "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal" is unchecked

Seems like a bug, thanks for heads up.
twrangham wrote:I think I am just being picky here. I would prefer have email distribution list get notified of Errors only, which is there now. But instead of the different email DL getting the same Error, just have them get Warning only. Not a huge deal.

Good suggestion, thanks again!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 pm 2 people like this post

How about the ability to run a report for a specific metric straight from Monitor instead of going to the default report page. So, if I am in Monitor, click on a VM, then click on a tab like Overall or CPU or Memory and click "View Report" it would be nice to see a report based on the tab I was in and for the time period I selected in Monitor instead of taking me to the Performance/Infrastructure/Other Reports page.
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Good suggestion!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Next