Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mudricd
Novice
Liked: never

VM connection failure

Post by mudricd »

Hello,

Recently I have installed VeemOneMOnitor to monitor my vmware infrastructure. Unfortunately I receive about 200 emails per day with mysterious VM connection failure, vCenter Server lost connection to host and Performance data collection failure. My system function normally we don't have any problems.

Anyone with same experience?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM connection failure

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dragan,

Can you please tell me if you see any events (at the same time the alarms were triggered) in the vSphere Client -> Events Tab on these hosts, VMs that relate to connectivity problems?

Thank you!
mudricd
Novice

Post by mudricd »

Hello Vitaliy,

Yes, I have just check and there are related events in the vsphere vcenter. So I guess it is a vmware problem...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, all our alarms are triggered based on the events coming from vCenter Server, so if you receive alarms like that then there is definitely something wrong with vCenter Server. I would recommend to take a look at the date and time stamp of these alarms, maybe you will notice any correlation between them. BTW - do you have any maintenance activity scheduled for the same time our alarms are fired?
mudricd
Novice

Post by mudricd »

I check the time stamp of veeam alarms and they match vmware events. I didn't have any interventions on the infrastructure when alarms were triggered. Thanks a lot for your prompt reply I will now check vmware deeply.
jfolsom
Lurker
Full Name: Jeff Folsom

Post by jfolsom »

I'm having an Identical issue, but I'm having trouble finding the cause on the vCenter side. I'm curious if mudric found the solution, and if so, if it might be shared?!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jeff,

Can you please tell me what vCenter Server events are triggered with this alarm (at the same time)? Look through the events on the VM itself and on the vCenter Server level.

Thanks!
jfolsom
Lurker
Full Name: Jeff Folsom

Post by jfolsom »

Vitaly, this occurs on the vCenter server itself, which is on it's own hardware. Dell R610 2x15k RPM 140G SAS drives mirrored, 48G RAM, running Server 2008R2 U1. We only have 3 hosts, with 40 or so VMs.

I don't think there should be any issue with database performance, but we keep getting these in the vCenter log.

The errors are all "SQL execution took too long" including INSERT INTO VPX_BINARY_DATA and DELETE FROM VPX_BINARY_DATA", as well as multiple rule_ tables. This is on the included mssql 2008 r2 packaged database from the vCenter install.

I've cleaned the database and shrunk it, but the errors persist. I'm opening a ticket with VMware.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would appreciate if you could update this topic with a resolution (for future readers) once you nail it down with the VMware support team.