When are we going to get a mobile app? =)

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

When are we going to get a mobile app? =)

Veeam Logoby chillware » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:16 pm

I'd looove to see a Veeam One Mobile App where we can get rich alert notifications, be able to resolve/ack alarms, see active alarms and performance data on our IT staff's Android phones and without having to login to the console. This would be amazing!!! I would much rather have all of my alerts come to an app rather than floods of email alert all the time.. =D
chillware
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: David McCoy

Re: When are we going to get a mobile app? =)

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi,

Mobile app seems to be a handy thing in case of Veeam One, however I see one huge drawback...

Imagine that the machine which is used to manage Veeam One is not in an isolated network anymore and is accessible virtually by anyone. I mean that mobile app entails an increased threat of exposing your infrastructure. Sure you have passwords, screen-locks and can probably restrict usage of other apps and mobile networks on those smartphones but I don't think that backup infrastructure reporting tool should ever go mobile. Just imagine that one of those smartphones got lost.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 272 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:04 am

PTide wrote:Just imagine that one of those smartphones got lost.

That's why there is pin code for every smartphone and a remote wipe option ;)

As regards the original question, yes it is indeed a good capability, as a workaround for now you may want to use our web-based dashboards to review alarms data.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby chrisdearden » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:47 am

It does open up a whole can of worms around security and authentication, though I suppose you could use SSL and certificates in the same way as cloud connect?
chrisdearden
Expert

Liked: 225 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

[MERGED]: iPad Client?

Veeam Logoby jmc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 pm

hello @,

do you think about an ipad client for veeam products? in the case of yes, that would be great, because the chance to look or change anything outside the office are straight heavy. ok, i can use a webbrowser and connect to the enterprise manager, but not all customers have a manager installed and additional it's tricky enough.

greetings from germany.
thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
jmc
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: jmc

Veeam Logoby dbirnseth » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:16 am

One more vote for a Veeam One mobile app. I would like to see it function similarly to the desktop application. Green icon says all is good, red bad. Click the notification to get details and open the app.

I use an Android app called aNag for monitoring nagios and it works quite well. If I could monitor Veeam this way then I'd no longer be dependent on email for knowing status of my servers.
dbirnseth
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dan Birnseth

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback! Did you have a chance to take a look at our web-bases dashboards in Veeam ONE? For us it shouldn't take much time to adapt these dashboards to be displayed on the mobile devices. Would this address your FR?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Looks like the app is mostly asked for pane of glass monitoring and basic management. Monitoring indeed can be achieved via Veeam ONE Reporter web interface while app can be useful for management.
Dan, apart from monitoring, what would you like to have in the app?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby lreese » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:06 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

I could see having a mobile app that organizes alerts being useful. Imagine getting tailored alerts straight to your cell phone; if I'm understanding correctly this wouldn't give any more vulnerability than checking alerts through an email.

Just some thoughts from a noob.
lreese
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Logan Reese

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Hello Logan,
The alerts can be send to your cellphone as emails. Plus you may use Veeam ONE Reporter Alarms dashboard to review the alarms in real-time.
Thanks
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby antipolis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 am

dbirnseth wrote:One more vote for a Veeam One mobile app. I would like to see it function similarly to the desktop application. Green icon says all is good, red bad. Click the notification to get details and open the app.

I use an Android app called aNag for monitoring nagios and it works quite well. If I could monitor Veeam this way then I'd no longer be dependent on email for knowing status of my servers.

I am totally with you on this... it would be really great and imho way better than just having the web dashboards on mobile devices and is also better than just receiving email alerts (I have mail notifications off on my phone, "disconnecting" after hours is important to me... but I still want to see critical alerts happening in my DC ! anag if perfect for this...)

With nagios there is also plenty of addons and applications you can use for the same purpose (having a status icon) on regular computers, like nagstatmon; something similar would be great as well (lightweight app for just status monitoring vs the big heavy one client)

I am actually thinking of adding veeamone to nagios with snmp alerts just so I can see veeamone's status with anag and nagstatmon but it would be nice to be able to do that natively
antipolis
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Eric.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Eric, your request is taken into account.
Out of topic, could you explain for what kind of monitoring you use Nagios and Veeam ONE?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby antipolis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Nagios is currently used for our filers, hypervisors, virtual machines and switches monitoring

I am currently in the process of migrating to veeam one for the hypervisors and virtual machines monitoring

I will keep nagios at least for the filers, switches, and also for the non production hosts and VMs (for which we don't have a veeam license)

On a related note we also use cacti for some network and filer metrics
antipolis
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply!
By the way, we are releasing new version of Veeam ONE within month which works much faster and has new options.
Let us know how it was once you migrate hypervisors and VMs monitoring.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam ONE