Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Adding Microsoft Azure Recovery Location Get-VBRAzureAccount Is Not Recognized

Post by mbroaders »

Opened case : 07071486

Installing Veeam Orchestrator 7 into an existing site that is running version 12.0 of Veeam B&R. Current Veeam B&R server does not have the console installed. Console is installed on a dedicated management machine.

When trying to add Azure as a Recovery Location i get the below message when i select the 12.0 Veeam B&R server :

"The term Get-VBRAzureAccount is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,function,script file or operable program."

My suspicion is that this may be related to the console not being installed on the B&R server as i think that is what installs the Veeam PowerShell module. Open to correction here of course. If this is the case what options are open to me? Otherwise any other reasons why i might be getting this error?

I understand that to get the functionality of version 7 of Operator then 12.1 needs to be installed but i believe it should work all the same just with version 6.0 functionality.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 363 times

Re: Adding Microsoft Azure Recovery Location Get-VBRAzureAccount Is Not Recognized

Post by Alec King »

Hi Martin, thanks for the case ID. We will dive into your logs with support team. I think you are correct, the console includes PowerShell components.
My first question though, I understand it is not possible to install a VBR server without also installing the console (not with our standard setup anyway). How did you deploy a VBR server without the console components?
mbroaders
Service Provider

Re: Adding Microsoft Azure Recovery Location Get-VBRAzureAccount Is Not Recognized

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks Alec. It was uninstalled based on the Veeam Backup & Replication Security Best Practices Guide : https://bp.veeam.com/security/

I had a look through the guide again and found that it does call out issues with Veeam Orchestrator when the Console is removed which i guess answers my question. https://bp.veeam.com/security/Design-an ... vbr-server

Would you be able to check if there are plans to allow for Veeam Orchestrator to work with a server that has been hardened with Veeam Best Practices? It does seem counter intuitive that following best practices would stop us from being able to use another one of Veeam's products.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 363 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Indeed, we're already discussing this issue internally. In the just-released Veeam Data Platform 23H2 we weren't able to remove consoles from VBR/ONE installations by default but we hope to implement this in a future version.
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks Alec. I'll discuss with the client to see how they want to proceed.