Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Alex Heylin

[Enhancement Request] Hyper-V to Azure

Post by AlexHeylin » 1 person likes this post

Arising from Veeam Vanguard & Legend call today - as per Rick Vanover.

PLEASE can we have Hyper-V to Azure.
ALL our virtualised clients run Hyper-V - not VMWare.
I could sell this tomorrow.
Thanks
micoolpaul
Veeam Software
Liked: 108 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Re: [Enhancement Request] Hyper-V to Azure

Post by micoolpaul » 1 person likes this post

I agree, at present we can use Veeam Agent to Azure when the OS being protected is a VM running in Hyper-V. Even without Hyper-V having feature parity for vSphere, it'd be a great evolution (as you're using Direct Restore anyway) to use Hyper-V VMs to Azure via Cloud DR.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend

Bearing in mind the Azure runs on Hyper-V it seems completely mad that Veeam will support changing the hypervisor from VMWare to Azure Hyper-V, but it can't currently do On-Prem Hyper-V to Azure Hyper-V. We can, and do, do On-Prem Hyper-V migrations to Azure Hyper-V but not using Veeam. We've looked at Azure Site Recovery and don't like the price apart from anything else.
Thanks
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 365 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

At the moment we have no plans to add Hyper-V support to Orchestrator. The workaround is still to deploy Veeam Agent inside Hyper-V VMs, then recover those agent backups to Azure in a VRO Cloud Plan.
contrebombarde
Novice
Liked: never

Post by contrebombarde »

@AlexHelin, may I ask what product you're using to do on-prem Hyper-V to Azure? We've been planning to move all our backup and DR to Veeam, but I just found out today that VRO does not support Hyper-V and that there are no plans for it (despite multiple requests in this forum from what I can tell). That's a bit of a head-scratcher and likely means not switching to Veeam in our case.
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend

We're currently not. We've a number of clients where we'd like the option, and one where we'd like to pull out their servers from our data centre and go to Azure but we currently can't.
The above suggested workaround of using agent to back up the VMs (so agent, and VBR) while possibly technically workable is clumsy and more than doubles the licences required under VUL.
We're reviewing backup & DR strategy for that client, along with VBR to VUL license review this week and I expect we're going to have to keep the hardware, unless Veeam want to double our VUL license conversion to cope with this.