Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
asdffdsa6131
Influencer
Liked: never

azure veeampn, after client connects, loose access to local lan

Post by asdffdsa6131 » Nov 03, 2018 10:51 pm

hello and thanks for reading this,

so after I connect my laptop to azure veeampn, I run into issues accessing my local lan.
for example, if I have a continuous ping such as 'ping -t 192.168.62.210', as sonn as I cannot to azurepn, the ping fails.
also, if I do a network scan, the scan will not find any other network devices.
the instant I disconnect from azure veeampn, the ping will work and network scan will see all devices.

what is going on,
thanks for any help,
david

anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: azure veeampn, after client connects, loose access to local lan

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » Nov 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Hey there David.

What are the subnets you are trying to connect to remotely? What have you configured on the VeeamPN HUB?
Anthony Spiteri
Global Technologist, Product Strategy | VMware vExpert
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com | Mobile: +61488335699
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri | Skype: anthony_spiteri

asdffdsa6131
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by asdffdsa6131 » Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm

hi anthony,
in the past, I had an azure virtual machine running an openvpn server. openvpn.net has an azure openvpn server, that allows two free simultaneous users.
behind that, I had my other azure virtual machines.
ah home, i also run openwrt on my linksys wrt320 router, which has openvpn enabled.

I am try to really learn about veeam, saving up the money for a veeam certified professional course.
So I thought that I would try to use veeampn as a general purpose openvpn server, in addition to its intended purpose.
so far that is working well, though one problem is that there is no way to force the user to type in a password to connect to the openvpn server.
which is expected as veeampn is not designed as a general purpose openvpn server.
but I will work around that and perhaps post the solution for other veeam users.

I do not yet have a veeampn hub setup in my 'test' office yet.
I was in the process of doing that and I think somehow that was causing the problem.
I added hub client as an entire site in the azure veeampn, one test ip translation rule and ip translation enabled.
i deleted the hub client and the one ip translation rule and that did not fix the issue.
only after I disabled the ip translation feature, disconnect my laptop from the vpn, reconnected the vpn, and problems accessing the lan went away.

thanks,
david

anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » Nov 05, 2018 1:08 am

Hey David.
So I thought that I would try to use veeampn as a general purpose openvpn server, in addition to its intended purpose.
so far that is working well, though one problem is that there is no way to force the user to type in a password to connect to the openvpn server.
For the use case you have described VeeamPN is perfect. In terms of the no password question, we are obviously using SSL authentication which means all that is required it the generated OpenVPN configuration file. User management is handled from the VeeamPN Web UI and any standalone client can be disabled at any time.

Curious as to why you would prefer password based authentication?
Anthony Spiteri
Global Technologist, Product Strategy | VMware vExpert
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com | Mobile: +61488335699
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri | Skype: anthony_spiteri