Backing up VMs running on Azure?

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Backing up VMs running on Azure?

Veeam Logoby mathieubouffard » Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to protect workload VMs running on Azure, while also hosting the repository on Azure.
I had some discussions with a customer who wants to move to Azure 100%, while using Veeam solution for backups.

From my understanding we can install Veeam Endpoint Backup on a VM running on Azure.
But can we specify a target also running on Azure? Could we install a VBR server (on a VM running in Azure) to receive the backups from all the VEB agents of Azure workloads? Since the agent doesn't need to talk with the underlying infrastructure, neither the VBR server if we use network transport mode, that should work? Is this supported?

Regards,
Mathieu Bouffard.
mathieubouffard
Veeam Software

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mathieu Bouffard

Re: Backing up VMs running on Azure?

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu May 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi,

Yes, you can do that, but why would you need VBR as a target in Azure? Won't Veeam Endpoint alone be enough?

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 274 times

Veeam Logoby mathieubouffard » Thu May 12, 2016 3:09 pm

The goal would be to centralize backup files and management.
The target could be a shared folder on another Azure VMs, but you won't have the centralized management (restore options mostly) if you don't use VBR.

Mathieu.
mathieubouffard
Veeam Software

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mathieu Bouffard

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Direct Restore to MS Azure runs a new VB&R version that didn't exist at the time when Endpoint 1.5 was released. So, you'd better double check whether you don't encounter any issues while using DR2MS as a target repository for EP backups.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1037 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure