backup an azure virtual machine

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

backup an azure virtual machine

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:07 am

Hi everyone, in order to answer a customer request, I was looking for a way to:
1- backup an azure virtual machine
2- backup an sql paas on azure

I think there aren't any chance for the point 2..... but for the first point, I've thought that I could install B&R on an azure vm and backup (only windows) vm with the endpoint agent.
I don't like this solution....but I wanted to asking you if you have any better idea?
Luca82
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lo

Re: backup an azure virtual machine

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

If you want to backup an Azure VM, then you don't need VBR at all, just use Veeam Endpoint Backup for this. What kind of data you would like to backup for this SQL Server, maybe SQL built-in tools can do the job?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 am

Yes, as I know, currently you can only use the built-in backup features of Azure SQL to backup your databases...no other way...
So forget SQL.... and focus on Azure Virtual Machine.
Azure Backup can backup an Azure Virtual Machine from Azure to Azure (A->A) and from onpremises DC to Azure (DC->A)....but Azure Backup has lots of shortcomings, while Veeam is really better. The only problem is that the Endpoint works only with Windows machine.
Moreover, it doesn't exist any tool to backup an Azure virtual machine and then collect the data on premise (A->DC)....Veeam could do this....
Luca82
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lo

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:15 am 1 person likes this post

Got it! For Linux workloads, we are planning to release Veeam Backup for Linux, so it should address this use case in the long term future.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure