Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1325 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup on Azure

Post by v.eremin » Jun 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Nope, Direct Restore to MS Azure is currently a feature of Veeam Backup and Replication, so no need to deploy additional appliance in Azure.

Basically, you need:

- On-prem backup server that will restore backup to Azure
- Veeam PN (if you want to have site-to-site connection between your local and cloud infrastructures).

Thanks.

networkup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Wilkinson

Post by networkup » Oct 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Uregent help needed as our tape drive has broken and our DAS has destroyed itself.

We need to backup the on premise VMs which are sitting on ESXi to Azure so we have an offsite backup. We do not need any disaster recovery option. I just want to backup the VMs to Azure storage and if our onsite backups have become corrupt or failed restore the backup from azure back down to on premise.

What is the best way to do this as there seems to be no documentation?

The steps I would take is:
1. Build new Veeam Backup and Replication Server
2. Create and Azure File Share using these steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... file-share
3. Mount /map the Azure File Share locally on the Veeam Backup And Replication server using these steps to mount the file share: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... es-windows
4. Adding the newly create Azure File Share to Veeam Backup and Replciation Server as a repository
5. Creating backup jobs which then point to the Azure file share

Would this scenario work? How would we restore if it did?

I would use the latest release Update 3a for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5.

pdemidov
Veeam Software
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Pavel Demidov

Post by pdemidov » Oct 09, 2018 6:58 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Adam,
haven’t tried it, but It should work, although repository access will be slow.

Make sure that Local System account of gateway server machine (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ver=95#smb) in CIFS backup repository properties has access to that share.

In your case you will not have any additional windows servers added to Veeam Backup, so gateway server will be the Veeam Backup server itself.
Please disable gateway server automatic selection, just in case you will add windows servers later.

You will need to run all the mount commands under Local System account context, for example, using psexec utility (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ads/psexec)
Try “Psexec.exe -s cmd.exe” or “Psexec.exe -s powershell.exe”.

networkup
Influencer
Full Name: Adam Wilkinson

Post by networkup » Oct 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi,

Thank you, it appears to work but i have just realised the pricing of Azure file storage is not good at all per gb after doing the test.

Is there anyway of doing backups of on premise VM's to blob storage directly? (as it is a lot cheaper) If not now is that something which will be in 9.5 update 4?

v.eremin
Product Manager

Post by v.eremin » Oct 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Is there anyway of doing backups of on premise VM's to blob storage directly?
Unfortunately, no.
If not now is that something which will be in 9.5 update 4?
I've provided an answer in corresponding thread in general VB&R forum.

Thanks!

ahmadalsayed
Novice
Full Name: ahmad M. Al-Sayed

Re: Backup on Azure / Copy Backup on Azure

Post by ahmadalsayed » Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello Dears
i need your support to provide me with the right setup. I have 4 physical servers running Windows 2012 R2 (AD, File Server, MS Dynamic & SQL). with total size 1 TB.
I'm looking to build VBR under instance based license to backup setup above. so, I do appreciate your feedback for the below points:
1-initial size needed for the local repository covering retention below
a-daily incremental.
b-weekly full - for 4 weeks.
c- monthly full - for 3 months.

2-if I need to consider Backup copy to Azure. so,
a-what is the storage size needed on Azure according to the above size I have?
b-what is the recommended Azure storage size?
c- what is the limitation I will have based on the scenario I mentioned?
d-what is the minimum bandwidth needed and how to calculate?
e-is Veeam® PN (Powered Network) needed in this case ? and how to setup it?
f-what is the time required to achieve a backup copy to Azure?
g-do I need to consider WAN acceleration or not? if yes. then when I need it? what is the Veeam license required for it?
h-what is the supported Veeam license needed to achieve Backup Copy to Azure/AWS or other repositories?
i-recommended solution for such a scenario?

appreciate your urgent feedback and support.

P.Tide
Product Manager
Liked: 429 times

Post by P.Tide » Feb 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi,

1. It is hard to recommend anythhing without knowing your data change rate and other parameters. Kindly use this magnificent tool to get a good estimation on the required size.

2. Secondary storage size depends on many factors, here are some of them:

- target repository type (less storage is required if you use deduplicating filesystems)
- preferred retention type (whether you're willing to copy everything or only fulls or some other option)

There is also an option that you might be interested in - support for object storage, please take a look and let us know if it fits your needs.
The same applies to the bandwidth and limitations - depends on backup size and and backup window width.

VeeamPN is a tool designed to simplify configuration of VPN between sites, it has several application scenarios and configurations, please check this guide. If you choose to stick with Azure object storage, then you might go without VeeamPN.

For more info on WAN accelerator and other question kindly check the user guide and feel free to ask if anything is not clear.

Thanks!

Luca82
Expert
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lo

Post by Luca82 » Mar 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi everyone, since veeam is in constant upgrade with new functionalities, therefore we need also to update the forum informations :D
So, I have two questions for you: (i) I wanted to make a backup in my local repository and then a copy job to Azure: and currently this is no possible: so I thinked a workaroud: I make a copyjob to another local repository and then configure a day 0 tiering policy, so veeam immediately move the backup to azure: could this work? (ii) suppose my restore point is completely on azure blob archive and I want to make a "direct restore to azure": does the data need to come back to veeam server on premise and then send again to azure in form of virtual machine, or the data still remain on azure without the need to come back on premise? Thank you as always.

v.eremin
Product Manager

Post by v.eremin » Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm 1 person likes this post

I make a copyjob to another local repository and then configure a day 0 tiering policy, so veeam immediately move the backup to azure: could this work?
Nope, as some backups belonging to active part of the chain will still be present locally.

By the way, we're planning to add copy mode for capacity tier in one of the next product releases.
does the data need to come back to veeam server on premise and then send again to azure in form of virtual machine, or the data still remain on azure without the need to come back on premise?
As long as you use Azure proxy in this scenario, traffic will stay isolated to Azure.

Thanks!

Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 » Mar 12, 2019 6:49 am

Thank you... but...what is the Azure proxy? Do I need to have a veeam virtual machine on azure?

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am 1 person likes this post

Yes, you need a dedicated machine on Azure. The process of Azure proxy configuration is almost automatic, please check this article for details.

Thanks!

Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 » Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am

Thank you, therefore I need proxy just to make a "direct restore to azure", is it? So I can power-on/off just when I need it, correct?

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Right, provided that you've configured a proxy beforehand, Veeam will power it on automatically.

Thanks!