Backup on Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Backup on Azure

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 am

Hi everyone, I have a question about backup-copy-job to Azure, without the use of Cloud Connect.
Suppose that I just map an azure repository as a network share on my VeeamB&R and use it as a secondary repository for my backup-copy-job. As I know, without the use of Cloud Connect, it isn't possible to granular restore unless the VeeamB&R restores the entire backup file in advance. After suppose to setup a VeeamB&R virtual machine on Azure and synchronize it with the VeeamB&R which is on-prem. Finally, suppose also to map the azure network share on the virtual machine VeeamB&R. Could it be used only for restore purposes and just in order to read the backup file directly from azure without the need to restore the entire backup on prem?
Thank you everyone
Luca82
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lo

Re: Backup on Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if I completely understand it, is my understanding of your scenario this:

1. You have a B&R server on-premises and your backups are stored on a repository which is also on-premises.
2. You want to use backup copy job to a repository that is stored in Azure (and am I correct in understanding that you want to use Azure files for it?). You want to install a secondary B&R server on a VM in Azure

Am I correct?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 379 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure if I completely understand it, is my understanding of your scenario this:

1. You have a B&R server on-premises and your backups are stored on a repository which is also on-premises.
2. You want to use backup copy job to a repository that is stored in Azure (and am I correct in understanding that you want to use Azure files for it?). You want to install a secondary B&R server on a VM in Azure

Am I correct?

Yes, correct. First backup on-prem; seconday backup-copy on a Azure file storage; after I want to access to that azure storage directly from a virtual machine which is on azure (close to the azure repository).
Luca82
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 am

I assume you have a site-to-site VPN or Expressroute to Azure? This will be necessary for this scenario.

1. You can install a VM in Azure, and make that VM a repository. Not a full B&R server. The repository can be Azure files or Azure Data disks but do know that Azure files performance is not exactly that good and there are many limitations (5TB per share, max of 1 TB per file. So if you have a VBK which is over 1 TB you already will not be able to use this at this point in time. At this point in time my suggestion is still to deploy a VM with datadisks and create a repository on that one.
2. You can do this by using a backup copy job and sending that over to the repository in Azure. This actually works exactly the same as you would do it on-premises.
3. Doing restores will be the same as when you have the scenario full on-premises. On that secondary repository, there will be a backup chain so the information will be available there to do restores. Obviously your retention will depend on the retention that you have created for the BCJ's.
4. In worst case scenario, when you have lost the B&R server on-premises, all you need to do is install a clean copy of a B&R server on a VM in Azure, scan the secondary repository which is still in Azure, and you can start doing restores. Some customers have told us that they have such a B&R server "standby" to speed up things in a disaster.

I hope I make sense?

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 am

Mike Resseler wrote:I assume you have a site-to-site VPN or Expressroute to Azure? This will be necessary for this scenario.

1. You can install a VM in Azure, and make that VM a repository. Not a full B&R server. The repository can be Azure files or Azure Data disks but do know that Azure files performance is not exactly that good and there are many limitations (5TB per share, max of 1 TB per file. So if you have a VBK which is over 1 TB you already will not be able to use this at this point in time. At this point in time my suggestion is still to deploy a VM with datadisks and create a repository on that one.
2. You can do this by using a backup copy job and sending that over to the repository in Azure. This actually works exactly the same as you would do it on-premises.
3. Doing restores will be the same as when you have the scenario full on-premises. On that secondary repository, there will be a backup chain so the information will be available there to do restores. Obviously your retention will depend on the retention that you have created for the BCJ's.
4. In worst case scenario, when you have lost the B&R server on-premises, all you need to do is install a clean copy of a B&R server on a VM in Azure, scan the secondary repository which is still in Azure, and you can start doing restores. Some customers have told us that they have such a B&R server "standby" to speed up things in a disaster.

I hope I make sense?

Mike

Thank you Mike. Actually, there are several possible solutions to backup on Azure, and your seems to be the best one. What I was asking is a little bit different becouse the purpose is another.... as you well know, if we put a virtual machine and we use it as a repository, we need to mantain it always powered on (and it will be very expensive on Azure!!!), my solution aim to mantain a VeeamB&R virtual machine always poweredoff (this is why the choice to use file storage...becouse it is the only one solution to backup on azure without having a powered on virtual machine). Of course the customer will power on the azure machine just only when he needs to restore something.
Might it work?
Luca82
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm 1 person likes this post

Actually, this is indeed possible but there are a few downsides to it. As long as you have the connection string and the username / pwd you can map it to a server on-premises (again, you will need to have a VPN or Expressroute or similar (or open a lot of firewall ports over the internet but that would not be a good idea ;-)).

So your solution would work, but is never tested against speed / performance / how much data and so on.

To me it looks more like a scenario of StorSimple (but without the hardware) that you are trying to create and I know that some of these technologies are being worked on (on the Azure side) but I think you might be a little bit too soon for it :-). Unless of course you have a StorSimple, then it is pretty easy to do, and you can use a virtual StorSimple in case on-prem is lost to recover the data
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pmansfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Apologies for bumping on old post, but this directly relates to something I'm looking at at the moment.

Is there any specific documentation around setting up StorSimple in Azure for use as a Backup Copy target? Do I just setup a Veeam Repo server in Azure with StorSimple providing the storage, and then create a copy job targeting the repo server?
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Does this article answer your requirements?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure