Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
iamkayliu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kay Liu

copy on-prem backup to Azure via Express Route

Post by iamkayliu » Oct 12, 2018 4:48 am

The customer has local repository on-prem. All on-prem vms will be backed up to local repository first and backup data will be copied to Azure via Express Route. My question is how to set this up? My understanding is we need to create Veeam backup appliance as a vm on Azure and mount a disk to the Azure vm, set it as cloud repository. But i'm not sure if we need to use cloud gateway and cloud connect on Azure to establish the connection between the azure vm and on-prem. Is there any step-by-step guide showing how to copy backup data to azure via Express Route? Thanks in advance.

Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 124 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: copy on-prem backup to Azure via Express Route

Post by Rick.Vanover » Oct 12, 2018 11:42 am

Hi Kay - welcome to the Veeam forums.

You can go the Cloud Connect route or build the requisite pieces of a Veeam infrastructure (namely a repository) in Azure if you take care of the networking.

However, it's been discussed here in the forums a few times but we should let you know that the next update of Veeam Backup & Replication will include support for Azure blob storage as a capacity tier construct of the Scale-Out Backup Repository. So this means the on-premises backups would go to the Scale-Out Backup Repository which would have 1 or more traditional repositories, then there is a configurable number of days that will determine when a backup is "outside of operational restore windows" - for example, older than 1 or 2 weeks, that would be then sent to Azure (S3 available as well). Basically going to blob storage with A) a much more intelligent transportable structure and B) much more intelligent egress.

If you can hold until around the end of the year - I highly advise you to wait for this advanced implementation from Veeam coming soon.

iamkayliu
Novice

Post by iamkayliu » Oct 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. Do you mean with express route we also need cloud connect? Just wanted to double check with u because it is different from what the channel manager told me... also I was told enterprise edition is required to leverage the blob storage, for either backup or copy backup jobs. But we are currently using standard edition only.

Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 124 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover » Oct 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Cloud Connect would not require Express Route.

iamkayliu
Novice

Post by iamkayliu » Oct 14, 2018 10:36 pm

the speed of the link to internet is 100Mbps. we don't have WAN accelerator, so want to leverage express route. Any materials show how to setup copy file job to azure via Express Route?

v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1323 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.eremin » Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm

As far as I understand, with Express Route in place Azure becomes a part of your private network. So, to make backup copy job work through Express Route, you will need to add your Azure backup repository under its private IP. Thanks!