Directory Mirror

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Directory Mirror

Veeam Logoby RobHird_REMCanada » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm

I am using Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect a physical server. To provide the offsite protection, I am using the Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure to upload the files to a Veeam Backup & Replication appliance in Azure.

Being that I have the Endpoint Backup configured for a 30 day retention of backup files, is there any way for FastSCP to clone the contents of the source directory to the Azure destination. I want only the exact files that are contained in the on premise repository to be saved in the Azure replication directory. I know that similar functionality is available in other sync software and wondered if there was something available directly in the Veeam product.

Thanks.
RobHird_REMCanada
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Hird

Re: Directory Mirror

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:11 am

Hi Rob,

No, that won't work. What will happen is that new files will get copied to your azure instance, but files that disappear on-prem won't automatically disappear in azure also.

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby RobHird_REMCanada » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 am

Ok, thanks Mike. I will setup a manual powwrshell task on the Azure server to purge files after the 31st day.
RobHird_REMCanada
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Hird

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 am

I haven't tried it personally, but what if you try to do the following:

- Switch DR2MA appliance to the advanced mode in order to make it function as a backup server
- Add local machine (where endpoints backups are stored) as a repository server to the backup server
- Create a backup copy job and select endpoint backups as it source
- Specify the backup server as a target repository for the newly-created backup copy

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1037 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure