Error connecting FastSCP to Direct Restore to Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Error connecting FastSCP to Direct Restore to Azure

Veeam Logoby paulb » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:49 pm

I deployed the standard Azure image for Direct Restore to Azure and installed Fast SCP on our backup server. After going through the config on the Azure VM and importing the subscription config, I get an error when trying to connect FastSCP of

Code: Select all
"Connecting to the remote server failed with the following error message:  The SSL connection cannot be established.........If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: winrm quickconfig -transport:https"

When I run that on the Azure VM, I get the error:

Cannot create a WinRM listener on HTTPS because this machine does not have an appropriate certificate. Error n umber -2144108267 0x80338115

I can see in the event logs on the Azure VM that FastSCP is talking to the VM as when the connection attempt is done, it generates the following System logs:

A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x8009030D. The internal error state is 10001.
and
An error occurred while using SSL configuration for endpoint 0.0.0.0:5986.  The error status code is contained within the returned data.

Am I missing a configuration step?
paulb
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Error connecting FastSCP to Direct Restore to Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi PaulB,

Unfortunately, when FastSCP was created, only the classical VM existed and it works for that out of the box. But our DR2MA is deployed in the new ARM model (something we can't change) and security on a fresh VM is more tight then on a classic VM.

I described in my blogpost here: https://www.veeam.com/blog/using-azure- ... azure.html
how you can make the necessary changes in the VM to get it running

Let us know if it worked

Brgds,

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby paulb » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi Mike,

The blog instructions worked and I was able to connect to the Azure image, send data fine, then perform a test restore to an Azure VM.
It would be a nice improvement to have it automatically retry if the upload fails (in my case it timed out about 4 times during the upload process) It would be really helpful if it could integrate it into the secondary copy job of VBR and then on the backend have it use FastSCP for the transfer.

Thank you
paulb
Lurker

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:08 am

We're planing indeed to integrate this feature in the next product release. So, stay tuned. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] : FastSCP Connection Issues

Veeam Logoby SEARCH » Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm having issues connecting to a resource manager based VM in Azure. Doing it from IP address to port 5986 for Powershell. I have run the WinRM QucikConfig command on the VM and it is functioning properly. I have opened the port for Powershell under inbound security rules. Receiving the following error: Image
SEARCH
Lurker

Full Name: Brian Brown

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi, Brian,

Are you positive you've followed all of the steps provided in the above mentioned blog-post?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure