Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
Line_Rider
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jon

Error using VeeamPN with backup copy job

Post by Line_Rider » Apr 20, 2018 11:40 pm

I've got VeeamPN setup and can create the VPN tunnel from my on prem veeam server successfully, I also successfully added the repository vm into my backups infrastructure.

When I start a backup job going to that repo I get the following error.

Error: Failed to connect to the port [10.0.0.5:2500].

We do have a firewall and the rule for the tunnel to established was allowed but do I also need another rule allowing port 2500 from azure to my on prem? I'm slightly confused as I expected the VPN tunnel to allow that once established.

AVasilyev
Veeam Software
Liked: 11 times

Re: Error using VeeamPN with backup copy job

Post by AVasilyev » Apr 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Jon,

I need a bit more details about your deployment to suggest you a solution.

As I understand you installed VeeamPN in HUB role in Azure virtual network where you are setting up a repository.
You added 'point-to-site' client and used a OpenVPN client to connect from on-prem Veeam Server to the VPN in Azure.
But then could you please explain how the job is setup? For example - if you are using an another server as a proxy, and this proxy is not connect to with its p2s VPN connection it will not see 1.0.0.5 IP address in Azure.

If this is the case I would suggest to use VeeamPN appliance - install it in your on-prem network, connect as site-to-site and use IP translation for Azure-based server (10.0.0.5) to some not used local network address (e.g. 192.168.1.200). Thus all servers (Veeam Backup Server and all proxies) in your network will see the Azure-based repository as local alias 192.168.1.200

Thank you,
Alexey

pradeeps
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: M.T Sahan Pradeep

Post by pradeeps » May 28, 2018 4:02 am

I'm trying to use Point-to-Site method to create a repository in Azure and create a backup copy job to that repository from the on-premises backup repository of few selected critical virtual machines in a production environment. Currently we are using 192.168.0.0 ip range in the production. Will it not work having a point-to-site method for the above mentioned task or do i have to go with a site-to-site method to make it successful (which is not preferred by customer)?

AVasilyev
Veeam Software
Liked: 11 times

Post by AVasilyev » Jun 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Sahan,

Copy job requires VBR and local repository servers (and sometimes even third to have visibility to the Azure-based repository. Unless all these roles are on one and the same server I would recommend to deploy site-appliance for VeeamPN and use it in Site-to-Site scenario.

When S2S is up and running, you can use an IP Translation feature to bring Azure-based repository as local resource: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/veeam ... tml?ver=10

Thank you,
Alexey