Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
Porfavor
Influencer
Liked: never

Failed to set static IP configuration / how to route on Site B Ubuntu (VLAN)

Post by Porfavor »

Support case ID: 05424647

Hello,

I have so far successfully setup Veeam PN Site to Site configuration as I can connect and can access all devices at site A from site B. Unfortunately I cannot access the devices behind the VPN Gateway at site B from Site A. This must have to do with missing routing.

Starting to search for a solution for that I came accross System-> IP settings. I tried to fill in some values as I have no idea which IP Veeam Gateway has or if it has one at least. Here I get the error:

Failed to set static IP configuration: Cannot parse NetPlan configuration file "etc/netplan/01-cfg.yaml": cannot find "network" node.

This file is commented with #. Moreover, I use NetworkManager at the moment.

Can you give me a hint on how to solve this issue?

If allowed in this forum :( :

Furthermore I am not really sure how routing on site B works. Will I need to put routes at the Interface(s) of the host of VPN Gateway? Is it then site B's subnet and the VPN Gateway as gateway in that route?

I would really apreciate help as I am not familiar with Ubuntu but need to install Veeam PN on Ubuntu.
Thank you.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 2035 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed to set static IP configuration / how to route on Site B Ubuntu (VLAN)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to be sure: the connection from site B to site A works, but the connection from site A to site B fails? Basic routing should work in that case, because a network connection only works if routing in both directions is available (it could still be asynchronous routing, but that's hard to guess without network plan).

Can you maybe provider a network picture? Is it this scenario and did you follow the how-to? My guess it, that remote networks need to be configured (Step 2).
I use NetworkManager at the moment.
what does that mean? It's an appliance and configuration directly in the operating system are not the "normal way".
but need to install Veeam PN on Ubuntu.
what kind of "need" is that? I'm asking because we are not really maintaining that product anymore... so if you want something for "production use", I recommend to use a different product.

To help you, a network plan and what exactly you did would help.

Question: the headline has "(VLAN)" in it... what is the context? Routing is OSI layer 3 and VLANs are below that.

Best regards,
Hannes

Porfavor
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Failed to set static IP configuration / how to route on Site B Ubuntu (VLAN)

Post by Porfavor »

Hello,

I have just read that you say, you are not really maintaining that product anymore? That was not clear to me! Why do you advertise, anyway?

If so, I guess, I should really use another solution. Is there anything "simple" you could recommend?

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 2035 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Why do you advertise, anyway?
I hope we don't :-) Where did you see it advertised?

Sorry, no recommendations from my side... I never used open source VPN solutions in production.

Best regards,
Hannes